Old Tool found - help id'ng??

Possibly a part of Wm Anson Wood's Mower. Cutting apparatus consisting of a finger or cutter bar and a reciprocating scythe (fig 70). The mystery part could be a finger guard. Full technical description of equipment on website.

GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 8400][/GALLERY]

[url]http://www.history.rochester.edu/Appleton/a/mowers.html[/url]
(Not much good at these inserts - yet.)

Sponsored Links
ifat - a plausible solution. However, if it was part of a reciprocating arm I'd expect both sides of the fork-end to be ground so be able to cut on the forward and back stroke. It could be off the stationary (fixed) jaw so acting like a 'gatherer' tine. I lived on a farm when I was a lad and my old man had some of this type of tackle from his granddad's days a lot of it just dumped & left to rot (be worth a fortune now :cry: ). The tines were always spikes or fingers and the reciprocating cutter bar had matching spikes or ziz-zag teeth (as per your last pic).

The plot thickens ...

On reflection I'm inclined to agree that it's more likely to be a part of a machine than a hand tool; if so it would have to move forwards and backwards over a plate of some kind to provide a shearing action. I'm still not sure about those cutouts, though, which must be more expensive to produce than simply drilling a hole.

x - have you had a read of the full technical description on the website. It says something about:

"the scythe knives operate laterally on the finger-guards and above the lower knives. A cutting edge is given to the knives held in the fingers by beveling (am sp) off the bottom face edge."

It's quite illuminating. You'll know far more than I do about farming equipment.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back