Ratchet Wrench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Need to decouple a 28mm compression joint that isn't easily accessible. You can get an adjustable wrench on it but you cannot get enough of a turn before you can flip over the wrench and undo some more (if you catch my drift).

I have been looking for something on the net but am not sure if this is what I am looking for:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Ratchet-Speed-Action-Adjustable-Wrench-150mm-Sealey-AK9460?sc=9

I am sure I have heard on being used in my house when a plumber's been on site :!: but I didn't see one in action.

So, I am looking for a wrench that works on the same basis as a socket set with a ratchet drive (the kind you would used on bolts in a car, for example).

Any ideas?

cheers a lot,

Baz

Sponsored Links
I usually use a basin wrench for limited access fittings

Like this

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-14282-Monument-DIY-2Jaw-Adjustable-Basin-Wrench.html[url]

66228_m.jpg

[/url]

FOrget the ones in those links to justoffbase or choiceful. They need a full swing of the spanner which is what you don't have.
The basin wrench would probably do but they won't all stretch to the size you need, which is about an inch and a half. (That was the original spec but most a re a bit smaller now, so between 34 and 38mm)

Most plumbers would use a big pair of water pump pliers normally called just "grips" for something like that. Eg
http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/zoomed/Large/86074001.jpg
You should be able to get a reasonably good pair for about £15.
I have tools of that type which open up to 200mm, jolly useful.

If you have more money than sense like me
icon_ashamed.gif
, you could have a full set from tiny to pump nut size (2 1/16th") of these

42221.JPG

and these
48840.JPG

and these
48882.JPG

Sponsored Links
Chris,

I was going to ask where you get the pump size ones as that would be a good investment, sometimes there is not enough leverage or room to get a pump union undone but I see its snap on, has anyone seen any other makers as they are indeed a bit steep with their prices.

Ta

SDGM

Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

I have a pair of cheap grips similar to the ones in the link that keep 'snapping' when you use them, thereby losing grip. Drives you nuts. Even if they did work properly, I don't think I have enough room to use them. I estimate 10cm from wall to HW cylinder which is why I was looking at the ratchet idea.

Post build, a plumber installed the compression tee that I wish to work on so he must have had something in his toolkit to tighten it up. Anyone of these ideas might work (I really do appreciate this) but I was looking for the dead cert as it could prove expensive otherwise.

Baz

pump nuts need a sharp tap to free them then hand tight.

If i had a special tool for them I would lose it. Total waste of money.

Likewise that adjustable shifter with ratchet looks like it would run off and cry to mummy if you gave it any more of atask than undoing a platsic tap back nut. Save you nuckles and throwit in the wheely bin now.

unclip it put flat bar behind it and prize it away from the wall leaning some part of your arm against pry bar to leave two hands free one to grip fixed oneside and other to undo nut.

Doesn't look very challenging.

As per Paul's comment - you need the tool that accompanies the adjustable wrench. :D

p3110258_x.jpg

unclip it put flat bar behind it and prize it away from the wall leaning some part of your arm against pry bar to leave two hands free one to grip fixed oneside and other to undo nut.

Doesn't look very challenging.

Thanks Paul. About 40cms out of this shot the pipe is teed to the HWC so prying the pipe isn't an option since it wont move out of the clip, unless you disconnect the elbow from the HWC. Even then, not having the physique of a supermodel, getting more than one limb into play (into the space available) is wishful thinking.

Now if you are a supermodel and want a job......... we will commence the job by showcasing the swim wear range and go from there. Now those would be pictures worth posting on here.

Baz

Softus - I don't think that jaw will do inch and a half, it's too big. There's a gap in the scope.

Baz - I did say you'd have to spend a little money on suitable grips. I'm pretty sure the Bahco ones I linked to would do it quite easily.
You don't want to be supermodel dimensions, quite the reverse. Of course you can only get one hand on most things in cupboards. My forearm is - can't find a ruler - about an inch wider than a CD. :oops:
Sometimes you have to cut a pipe, get it out of the clip, furgle your joint and then repair the cut and put the pipe back. A plumber would have it all over in a few minutes. Slip couplings can be useful, and usually easy to make it you don't have proper ones.

The open end pump size crow foot spanners are usually snap-on, but other makers have done them too, always US, like Bonney. I have about 3 sized 2 1/16", none of which cost me anywhere near the new price. Last time I used one it was on a 500mm extension, and it paid for all 3 on the one job. 2" ones are common and you could grind one out. 2 1/8" is too big.
I carry a socket set which is quite often useful, so the crows' feet go with that.

As I said, 28mm is usually about a 37mm nut - check yours and try your local car accessory shop. Sometimes they do pressed steel spanners for water pumps on cars which aren't too expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back