Looking for a non-standard socket wrench bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to remove an oven heating element which is fixed in place with 2 bolts which seem to be a very specific size (between 3/16 and 7/32 which leads me to believe it's 5.16mm or 13/64). Based on the site below, I think that these are in US sizes which might make it harder to find in the UK.

I cannot remove the old one with any of the bits that I have which are as follows:

Too small: 4mm, 5mm, 3/16
Too big: 6mm, 7/32

You can see a table of sizes here: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wrenches-inches-metric-us-conversion-comparison-d_1607.html

It is not easy to grip them with pliers or an adjustable wrench to turn. Products like the following are too big and may not grip the very shallow bolt head: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gator-Grip-ETC-200MO-Universal-Socket/dp/B000065CJ8

Thinking of popping down to a local car mechanic and trying my luck.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get these pesky bolts off?

Sponsored Links
is it an American oven? Or British? Or European? About how old? There are several archaic British ranges of spanner sizes from before AF became dominant.

A photo of the bolts might spark off more ideas.

When you look at screw heads on the oven, are they slotted, philips or Pozi?

open ended spanners are more forgiving off odd sizes as they have a longer flat
also thin metal screwdrivers washers etc in an oversized spanner can get you out off many a hole

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you know a (or Ex-) BT technician - one who worked in the Old Electro-Mechanical ('clockwork') exchanges? Those people would have lots of odd sized box spanners in their toold kits - most kept their kit when they retire/took redundancy.

A set of these multi wrenches are one of the best investments I have made. There are similar types but they work on the same principle. Bolts, rounded bolts, round bolts, they do the lot.

APOWERLARGE868740.jpg

Pictures attached. I've tried adjustable wrench but it doesn't fit in the space due to the curvature of the back plate and the oven element restricting movement

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 145
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Are you sure there isn't nuts on the back? They almost look like pressed in studs which have a hex pattern to hold in the material. if there's access to the rear it would be worth looking before going any further.

Are you sure there isn't nuts on the back? They almost look like pressed in studs which have a hex pattern to hold in the material. if there's access to the rear it would be worth looking before going any further.
Good shout. I'll take a look

have you bought the new element yet? that should tell you.

Success!! Thank you all for your input. One step closer to having lovely baked food again

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 133

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back