Wrench for sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy one of these to remove a Allen bolt on my lawn mower. I don't currently have a socket set and assume that it will come in handy as I start to build up a socket kit over time too.

Q. Is this a reasonable purchase as it also has a torque setting? I am unclear on the brands or the difference in the head fittings for these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-torque-wrench/6879v

I appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Torque wrenches are a precision tool for tightening things up, not for using as a breaker bar for undoing stubborn things.
It'll go out of calibration in no time by over stressing it regularly.

All you need really is a 600mm 1/2 inch drive breaker bar for undoing stubborn nuts...(even a 3/8 drive 450mm one would probably be fine for most applications)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361635162799
Then the right size 1/2" drive allen bit.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the prompt response. Would this also be okay to use as a regular wrench to use for tightening nuts, etc.?

Sponsored Links
If it's for general use then wait until maybe the next bank holiday and look at Halfords socket sets when they have a sale. I do a lot of work on older bikes so got an expensive one but a cheaper metric only might be what you need.
Sockets with allens are handy but also look at T handle allens as a socket allen can easily have to much force applied (as said)
A torque wrench is only for doing things up to a specific tightness. If you just want a 12" breaker bar you'll get one for pennies by comparison

I bought an incredibly cheap socket set from eBay for about 9.99 delivered and it was surprisingly ok. I keep it at work to avoid bringing in my own better one. Lidl/aldi often have cheap ones on offer. Imho the Halfords ones are very good value for money if you plan on using them a lot

Yes, something will give with that setup!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Update: I can’t believe how easy this was to remove with this bar and socket. An absolute piece of cake. Sharpened the blade, balanced and back on the mower again. Thanks for your guidance.

Well done (y)
You may have noticed, the large washer is slightly domed , and flattens out when you tighten up......its actually sprung and helps to keep the allen bolt under tension, preventing it from undoing.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back