Next sizes up and where to purchase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small Stanley socket set which goes up to a half inch socket. I need to remove 3 bolts which are housed in a tight space. They are impossible to get at with normal spanners so need either a socket or a box spanner.

The half inch is just too small to fit. I am assuming that I need a slightly larger size - even if that is a metric size.

Can someone tell me what the next size from half inch is (in metric and imperial) I am guessing 9/16ths and 13mm??

Next question is where I can purchase them without having to buy another full socket set.

Thanks people.

B

Sponsored Links
There's a very good chance indeed that you need a 14mm socket - very common! Failing that, 9/16".
Individuals are available from Laser Tools, courtesy motor factors.
This will be for the blade carrying shoe, no doubt?
John :)

Thanks BM.

Actually it's for the 3 bolts holding the engine/engine mount to both housings. The bolts are recessed in moulded hard plastic holes so only room to get a socket or box spanner in.

Will have a look at Laser.

Sponsored Links
Things can never be easy can they?...

Just measured my socket set and they are 1/4 inch fittings.

Laser don't do them...

I assume I need to buy a converter (1/4 inch female to 3/8ths male?)

Where do I get one? Fleabay (please say there's an alternative)

:(

A converter probably exists somewhere, but really you are expecting 3/8th gear to be turned by smaller stuff, that will overstress ratchets, drive bars et al.
How about a Kamasa socket set as a bit of an investment?
John :)

In all honesty BM, the set I have was bought years ago and very rarely gets used. In fact, it's so long ago, I can't even remember why I bought it but I suspect it was for some IKEA shelving. It comes in handy for hard to budge screws and for the odd task where bolts are fitted to appliances etc.

I don't own a car and I rarely use bolts as a construction method so wouldn't really get the use out of a new socket set.

Appreciate the idea but it's not really an option.

I do realise the reasoning you listed about the sizing is very sound.

Thanks,

B

Thanks gram.

Bought a cheap box spanner for this task but it's proving a bu**er. Got one of the 3 bolts out and, as I type, the other two (which I couldn't budge yeterday) have been sitting in WD-40 overnight. I am going to give them another go today. If that doesn't work, I'll look to use your suggestion.

Cheers.

B

UPDATE

Well chaps, after much swearing and sweating, the box spanner did the job (albeit I broke a cheap screwdriver turning the last bolt...) Okay, cost me £3 for the boxy but the job is done.

Thank feck for that.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Kind Regards,

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back