Old Tool found - help id'ng??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found this old tool on the ranch --- its solid and even tho' it looks like some kind of wrench it didn't have moving parts. the jaws have rusted over teeth. If this isn't the place to post it my apologies..

[/img]

[GALLERY=media, 8257][/GALLERY]

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Sponsored Links
Isn't that a bicycle spanner?

The forked bit at the front for adjusting cone nuts...

tx - a farrier's cutting tool perhaps ... it would have been sharper 'in the day'. A pushing action to cut, not like snips 'cos there's no pivot.

Cone nuts have parallel faces, so this tool wouldn't be suitable for adjusting them.

The open jaws look a bit like those used on a bar-bending wrench, which would have a vee-shaped business end with steps (which would look like teeth) for accommodating differing sizes of iron or steel to adjust it or bend it into shape. Against this, however, are two things: the tool doesn't look long enough to have much leverage, and the jaws look as if they have a bevel on them.

The holes in the rest of the tool may be for turning different sizes of nut.

It's difficult to tell as the top picture is rather out of focus and there is no scale in the photograph to give the size.

Sponsored Links
I'm going to put something in the picture with it to give you scale -- sorry should've thought of that...and try to get better focus...

ok -- here are two new pictures -- one with portable phone for scale and the other tries to show the ridge (teeth?) in the jaws...

Hope this helps

Thanks ya'll --- this tool was found on our ranch surrounded by other empty acreage ranches in N. TX --- the neighbors have sections and we sit on 100+

Now any ideas??? We sure appreciate the input and help!!! You guys are geniuses..

GALLERY]

Some sort of cutting device, reaping a crop of some sort?

Or maybe some cutting/baling tool?

It looks like it a cutter from a farm implement, something for cutting hay for instance. There would have been lots of them in a row, it's double edged so it would have oscillated. Maybe not but that's how I see it.

it probably belonged to a whole bunch that were attached to a harvester of some sort, perhaps?

Had i enlarged the picture i would have seen the ground edge, and mediatly ruled out my suggestion :oops:

But it never had moving parts --- We know what sheep shearing tools look like and have used said tools... This was built solid --- not to move...

We've had balers, mowers, combines of all ages --- and other such harvesting tools and this doesn't match any of those parts on that type of equipment.

?????

what was done on the ranch (ie cattle crops etc) and where was it (near anything or just out in a field?

Cut-outs very precise and two individual styles. Cutting edges. Indicate multiple manufacture. Why?

Maybe many of the same individual parts mfd as part of an assembly. Precise cut-outs fit over precise protrusions on main assembly bottom plate. Then top plate completes a sandwich. Bottom plate plus many individual cutters plus top plate makes assembly. Your part lies parallel with the land between the two plates.

Individual parts static within assembly, whole assembly moves to and fro repeatedly, resulting in cutting action - as others have suggested.

Rough sketch to follow - hopefully. [/img]

GALLERY]

Drawing should read "moves to and fro".

I hardly need say that I can't draw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back