Which tool next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am setting up my woodworking workshop, purely has a hobby/diy thing. Currently I have a Triton Circular Saw, Jig Saw, Belt & Random Orbit Sander, Cordless Drill, Block plane, three stanley bevel edge chisels, plus the usual hammer, screwdrivers, tape measure etc.

I have listed the projects I want to complete below so I am wondering what tools I should get next, my budget is about £300-£400, plus I hope to get the Triton Workcentre for Xmas (yes I have been a good boy this year!). Plus I only have a one-car garage so massive tools are out!

I would prefer to learn how to make joints by hand first so I am thinking some decent marking / measuring tools, plenty of cramps, better chisels, a jointer and a smothing hand plane and then perhaps a router?

A lot of my initial projects will be made using plywood so I am thinking a planer/thicknesser is not required yet, my local lumber yard will plane and thickness timer to order.

What are you thoughts?

Projects:
Plywood workbench
Plywodd tool cabinets
Small boxes
Bookcases / radiator covers

Sponsored Links
you will need a router for most of those tasks
for rebates to set in back panels bases and lids
for moulding edges
for grooves to accomodate panels

Sponsored Links
Finishing nailer?
Compound mitre/chop saw?

One of those CD's that play 'tool noises' on. Have that blaring and you can watch the telly in your workshop in peace! :LOL:

Telly?
CD player?
mini-fridge? :LOL:

A cheapo workshop vac ... or if you can stretch to it - a proper chipping/ dust extractor

I started with an Erlux cheapo wet and dry vac for around 30 quid and still using it to this day - 4 years on - for all manner of clear up when working around the shop or house. It even cleaned out teh conservatory gutters last weekend (with my supervision of course, it's not a totally unaided affair)

I do however use a proper extractor when using the router table, radial arm or table saw as the waste just builds up too quick and the vac cannot manage to clear anything larger than small chippings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back