Which tool?

N

Nicole23

Hi All, please can you help me with the following.

I am building some alcove shelving in the chimney recesses of a lounge using battens for support that are boxed in with mdf. I have done one of the recesses but before I start the next one, I needed some advice.

The mdf cuts are slightly too big to fit in the recesses in places (by about 2-5mm). I had the same problem on the side that I have completed but used a random orbit sander that I had purchased the other week to fix this. However, this was quite fiddly and time consuming. Can you suggest a better tool for trimming a small amount of mdf from the edges? I have limited knowledge but thought a router might be appropriate, especially as it would be versatile for other projects. Other tools I thought about were a circular saw or a jigsaw. What do you think? Your help would be great :)

Sponsored Links
A small, cheap plane, or a surform plane will do this.

A router or other power tool is overkill

Circular saws and routers are extremely dangerous if you aren't competent in their use. A jig-saw is much safer and will be more use to you.

That's great, thanks. I want to buy something that will be handy in the future as I build up experience so the jigsaw sounds good unless anyone has any other views...

Sponsored Links
A jigsaw will do it, so will a hand saw, a hacksaw, a file, a stanley blade, and many other sharp things.

But the fact is, it is not the correct tool for doing this, and it will leave rough edges as the blade rips the surface, and this will need finishing with something else.

If you are building up experience, then don't start by getting into bad habits

only problem with a jigsaw is that when you buy it you have to put it together yourself :LOL:

half decent jigsaw a definate yes
several grades of sandpaper for your sander from smooth to course [240 to 40] would be helpfull

a hand planer or surform as suggested and a greater idea of what your projects in the future will help ;)

I must have some very bad habits as I'd probably use a power planer for bigger cuts. Although a good sharp hand plane would also do the job :rolleyes:

Scrit

Thanks for the replies! Well I think I am going to get a jigsaw. I did some research on this site and I need to learn how to 'scribe' the shelves into the alcoves as the walls are quite old and not perfectly straight. I had this problem on the side that I have done and have ended up with small gaps between the mdf and the wall that I'm going to have to fill in with decorators caulk or similar. So a jigsaw sounds like it would be good as I'm pretty sure I'll need to 'scribe' again in the future - can anyone point me to a good article on how to do it?

Big-all, not 100% sure what my future projects will be. I love learning. This weekend, I bought a heatgun & Metabo random orbit sander to take paint off the staircase handrail and to prepare it for a natural wood finish. It looks great now! I think I'm learning well and hence I want to build up a chest of useful (and good quality) tools to help me in the future.

Thanks again guys ;)

We'd love to see your 'chest', Nicole.

Nicole23 said:
I'm pretty sure I'll need to 'scribe' again in the future - can anyone point me to a good article on how to do it?
I don't know about an article, but I was taught to get an offcut of scrap material (hardboard, thin MDF, thin plywood, etc) slightly smaller that the alcove (a few mm) and set that in position. Next trace a line by running a pencil inside a large washer (i.e. offset inwards from the wall) with the washer rolling against both sides and the back wall. Cut-out the template on the template with the jigsaw, copy the scribe marks onto the shelf using the pencil and washer again to get the original line of the wall (i.e. offset outwards to the original line of the wall). Finally cut the line on the shelf which should then equate to the actual line of the wall. Any further final trimming is done using a belt sander

Scrit

The problem with alcove shelves is that they are often wider at the back than the front so if you scribe and cut them you won't get them in as they wont slide. The best way is to set them into the mortar by cutting notches and then making good but it's a messy way to do it. A sliding bevel is handy too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back