Which Chisel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a new set of Bevel Edge Chisels at the moment and I am quite fussy about the quality of tools that I buy. I know Marples chisels are at the higher end of the market and have been looking at the M373 Splitproof Chisels but, I think they could be a bit wearing on the hands! I have also been looking at the Marples soft grip chisels.

As I am undecided I could do with a little help from the people in the trade on this site that have experience of chisels and who could give me some direction.

Currently I use the Stanley chisels "soft grip" they have black and yellow handles and can be struck with hammer as appose to a mallet, however, I have had to keep replacing them as the handles keep coming away from the shaft.

I am looking for a set for life if you know what I mean, any opinions would be gratefully received, thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
If you are prone to whacking the chisels with a hammer, then check out the Stanley FatMax "thru tang" range. They also retain a good edge for a long time

Thank you very much Gregers, what a Bl**dy bargain, just bought them off of him and a new chisel roll to boot.

Woody, Thank you too for the advice on the stanley fat max through tang chisels, but these are the one's I have currently and have the spinning handles, in fairness, I have been hitting them with a hammer for the past four years and I reckon there probably not designed to be hit as hard as I hit them sometimes.

Am moving back to the traditional method of hitting my chisels with a mallet, hopefully they will last a bit longer.

Thanks again, chaps or chapesses.

Sponsored Links
1 good thing about these chisels is,they are guaranteed for life on the handles.
if at any time the handle splits,find your local supplier and they should replace them foc.

Thank you too for the advice on the stanley fat max through tang chisels, but these are the one's I have currently and have the spinning handles, in fairness, I have been hitting them with a hammer for the past four years and I reckon there probably not designed to be hit as hard as I hit them sometimes.

Are your sure that you have the FatMax ones - you may have the "normal" Stanley chisels if they are that old. The FatMax ones are very different and much tougher

when I get a minute I will send you a pic, they are definately the FatMax one's as stipulated in the link supplied, I may have exagerated a bit on four years, but i have had them for a long while and the handles are definately spinning!

Anyway it doesn't matter I have Marples Chisels now, so now I am proper Cowboy with proper chisels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back