Good set of chisels

Sponsored Links
Depends what you want to use them for, I've got a set of Stanley sweetheart chisels for use in the workshop/ cabinet work but for in site I have a set of fatmax's and marples both of which have a one piece tang/striking cap

Sponsored Links
Thanks I am looking at them for making some mortise and tenon joints and maybe removing some material to straighten an edge or two if that helps?

Through tenons on the top would be strong and look good.

Thanks I was thinking of making it with some small wheels so it could go on either side and maybe a cut out for a drinks holder.

Would you have to still glue the wood inside the joint I take it?

Thanks

James

I agree with the comments about Stanley Fat Maxes for "site"/DIY work - I find the through tang and striking caps make them ideal for lots of types of work. They aren't the best for keeping an edge (although they are better than the Irwin-Marples copies I've tried), so it is necessary to touch them up from time to time (for which you'll need a combi stone and probably a honing jig), but they will take a heck of a lot of abuse, including being hit with a steel hammer - a real no-no for wooden handle chisels. On site I do use them for shallow mortising, but TBH if I need to do a lot of hand mortising I'll generally get out my roll of Crown and Sorby registered mortise chisels (I have a mixture, butb only sizes I regularly use) which are quicker and easier to use on deep mortises because they are stronger and are a lot less prone to twisting in the cut. They should ideally be driven with a wooden mallet. If you do start out with the Fat Maxes then something like 6, 12, 18 and 25mm should cover most of your early needs

Workshop Heaven sells some truly wonderful stuff, at a price. I bought a set of Ashley Iles mkII bevel edge chisels from them a few years back for bench work and they are possibly the finest chisels I've ever had with a really thin blade (in other wods proper bevel edge chisels, not firmers with the edges knocked off), but unless you are a professional woodworker £200 plus for a set of chisels is a tad overkill. In any case you probably won't get the benefit until you have mastered the basics of woodworking. Either way try to buy only what you need for the next project rather than buying a big set which you'll never use - and spend time to learn how to sharpen and hone them properly first because once that becomes more or less automatic you can get in with the real task of making stuff

M&T joints are normally glued. There are unglued versions, such as the tusk tenon, but they aren't really suitable for the application you have in mind

Great thank you.

This is the first thing that I am going to make which is "proper" in a sense as all the other stuff I have made thus far is for the animal cages which they chew so if its not quite right its not that much of an issue as they will destroy it anyway. So I am trying to make better stuff for them but also improve my woodworking that way so even if it turns out terrible the Chinchilla's and Degus will still have a lovely time grinding down their teeth!

I have progressed quite well make small things and the candle holders I asked about a while ago which turned out alright not great but they were functional. So this is the first real thing to do some joints and such as the next thing apparently the other half wants a butchers block making with some smaller shelf type holders for oils, sauces etc which can be wheeled about so this little stand seems like a good first thing to have a go at as its much simpler.

I presume these are the fatmaxes your both referring to: http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fatmax-chisel-set-5-pc/83232#product_additional_details_container

With regard to the combi stone I do have a sharpening stone which is similar to this http://www.screwfix.com/p/oil-stone...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIn39dTurNYCFcGD7QodVdgGwQ which I presume will be the same thing?

I was looking at this set (https://www.workshopheaven.com/narex-chisels-8116-cabinetmakers-chisel-boxed-set-natural.html) from Workshop Heaven as they were the cheapest small set (in a box so I could find them) I could find but I do take your point and will probably go with the Fatmaxes.

Oh and thanks for clearing up the glue on the Mortice and Tenon Joints.

Thanks

James

Yes, the Fat Maxes were the ones I was referring to. They are more of a firmer (square edged) chisel with the edges ground off, but then you don't normally do dovetails out on site!

Likewise the cmbi stone is where most of us start out. Use something like 3-in-1 oil or sewing machine oil as a lubrivant. If you don't have much experience in sharpening get yourself a honong jig to start with - the Eclipse type is probably the better option. There are a lot of copies out there

The Narex chisels aren't a bad set, but maybe overkill to start with and they won't take pounding with a hammer or mallet, IMHO, which makes them less useful for doing mortises. TBH I'd just buy the individual sizes you need one at a time. We recently started an appentice off with 6, 12 and 25mm chisels - after a month he's finlly bought himself an 18mm because he really needs it

Ah thank you some of the videos I have watched show the stone being wetted with water. I presume this is incorrect or bad practice maybe?

It sounds like a good plan to just get what is needed when it's needed since screwfix is not far from me anyway.

I just like getting decent tools that last opposed to getting something cheap which after a few uses just breaks or gives up the ghost, hence always looking for recommendations and looking around the net. I look after my tools as much as I can and want the best out of them as they will always get your money's worth out of good tools I think anyway.

Thanks again for all yiur help.

James

whoever said that the new Irwin/marples don't hold their edge is right about that. Some toe rag nicked my originals and these aint a patch on the old marples. OK for general stuff and site work.
I have a set of 6 Ashley Isles too, great chisels but don't think they've seen the light of day for 10 years or more.

May I suggest the following as you are asking questions...

Buy a set of these first; the chisels are a bit 'soft' and don't hold the edge but equally so are easy to sharpen.
Also buy a good quality 'stone' and Honing guide -look at 'Faithful' tools. A good quality stone will last to be good value.
What you may find is that both companies will hold (offer?) occaisional promotional sales.

The lower cost chisels will give you experience of using the tools but aren't that expensive so if you damage or loose them you haven't lost a lot.
As you gain confidence in sharpening (and wear away the size you use the most) then is the time to buy sizes you need from the better manufacturers or go and look at the better tool resellers for second hand old (UK made) tools. Visit a woodworking show for that and get some names and addresses.

I have a set of the ones I've recommended above; I normally use these on site even if I have to touch up the edge regularly. In the workshop* I have a selection of 'old' chisels I've aquired over the years mainly all just pre or post WW2 era which do hold their edge (but also take longer to sharpen...) better for long periods of work.

You find you will use just one or 2 sizes far more than any other - I use 1/2'' and 22mm the most.

*sounds good doesn't it - really mean the garage with the car outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back