What tool for a deep lock mortice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a lovely set of extremely sharp marples chisels, I have two mortice locks to fit with a 127mm Backset, my super sharp marples chisels don't reach the back of the mortice to clean it out after drilling out with an Auger Bit.

Bearing in mind the limited amount I can charge for fitting these locks, I'm looking for a tool to reach the back of cut out.

I've thought long paring chisel £35 but I doubt I'll use it again, swan neck chisel £45 I definitely won't use that again.

Or should i just bite the bullet??

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Either of these would reach.....

Wickes chisel is pretty sharp until it goes dull. For a one off, you can use the cheapest one. Makes little difference if it takes a little more effort.

You could also improvise with a long drill bit for metal if you have one. Just run the side of it against the wood.

Last edited:
You say you probably won't use it again. However, in my experience when I've bought something for a one-off job, I find that I have often used it again at later dates. It costs £35 now. If you throw it away/shove it in the back of a cupboard and can't find it at a later date etc, it will cost more than £35 to buy another one.
This is how you build tool stocks up. But it when necessary and then store it away carefully. I once bought a pair of long-handled, end jaw, wire cutters for a job I was doing in work. Can't remember the price but it was eye-watering but necessary at the time. Over the years I had occasion to pull them out and use them, as nothing else was suitable. The cost to buy them again these days has fully justified my keeping the original ones.

Sponsored Links
Either of these would reach.....

I'm not sure it will, I bought a new Irwin Bevel Edge Chisel from Howdens to check the length of my Marples "being they are old and have been reground alot" then checked that chisel against the lock, not long enough, the mortice will be 19mm wide and the bolster would stop the reach. But I'll have a Google.

Doesn't every chippy have a proper mortice chisel?

Get one or a MAD bit.
That statement could apply to every available tool within the "Chippy" scope, if you've not had cause to use one then you are unlikely to own one :cool:

That statement could apply to every available tool within the "Chippy" scope, if you've not had cause to use one then you are unlikely to own one :cool:
I'm not a chippie, but I have two!

Years ago, when I was going to fit my first mortice locks, one of the old boys told me that if you try and use a narrow bevel or even firmer chisel on deep mortices, you'll just end up bending them, so he said get a proper mortice chisel, and so I did. And I'm glad I did.

I'm not a chippie, but I have two!

Years ago, when I was going to fit my first mortice locks, one of the old boys told me that if you try and use a narrow bevel or even firmer chisel on deep mortices, you'll just end up bending them, so he said get a proper mortice chisel, and so I did. And I'm glad I did.
That's good advice, I wasn't given that advice...I have ordered one.

Souber DBB morticer and never worry about it again. Bought mine a few years ago and it just makes the job easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back