Drilling Large Holes in Wood Blocks

Sponsored Links
No I can't say I have to be honest I thought because they have guards on them presumed they would be sharp.

Jan

Ah yes thanks Foxhole that's great, not to expensive at all. Will they fit my challenge drill though..sorry but I am really clueless about drills, never had to have one so never thought about it lol but I know it's the only way I'm going to work on this wood to make my fairy houses ☺
Jan

Just to confirm, these will fit any conventional drill, key chucked or self tightening......if you go for one, lets know how you manage with it?
John :)

Sponsored Links
No I can't say I have to be honest I thought because they have guards on them presumed they would be sharp.

Jan
to be honest you would probably be better off with some carving gouges, but you will need to learn how to sharpen them.
Surely fairies don't need stairs, can't they just fly up?

Get yourself a diamond sharpening block and sharpen your chisels properly. They should easily make more than a "dent", as you put it. No doubt there are videos online showing you how to do it.

Ok Endecotp, thanks for that, I will definitely do that first and give it another go.
Thanks Jan

The chisels you ideally need for this work are actually called gouging chisels......which wood carvers use for tasks such as this, and ordinary chisels just aren't suitable. In this case, most of the material would be removed by other means, and the gouging chisels used to finish off.
I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but they take a special technique to sharpen them - happily firms do offer this service on line.
Just for your information!
John :)

If you get Pfeil gouges (to name one make) they come ready sharpened. Carving tools are honed rather than sharpened. As John says it's a different technique to normal woodworking chisels. As always there's plenty about it online.

Thank you John and Dave, all that info is much appreciated. I have a much better idea now. I purchased wood chisels and they were only about £6 so I will look for the chisels you suggest.
Loving the power chisel Dave but bit pricey for me but I'm sure that would handle the job perfectly. Maybe in the future I'll get one. ☺

Well I had a go with the drill today and I'm still here, no injuries lol. I drilled 3 or 4 holes and then had little go with chisels but to much like hard work. Defffo going to get one of those multi angle drill bits ☺ John & can't afford it till next week but will show you picy when I've conquered it..
Chappers
Haha yes they do need stairs cos they can't fly with heavy things and they will need to put the furnitue upstairs ☺
Jan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back