Top half brick, bottom half lath and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post having spent hours reading and learning.
I am renovating an upstairs bathroom and have taken all walls back to brick/timber frame with plan to dot and dab/refit plasterboard.

20181205_093840.jpg
20181205_092908.jpg

My problem is one wall has lower half brick and upper half lath and plaster, see pics. It is not load bearing but other side is bedroom.
There is not much gap on one side next to architrave.

What would you advise best way to get this wall boarded (or other)??
Wall will be skimmed and painted.

Mick

Attachments

• 20181205_092908.jpg
    20181205_092908.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
mickcooper, good evening.

Unusual but not unheard of construction.

A couple of things?

Directly below the brick / lath wall does the ceiling bulge downwards in any way? at times if a load of brick is laid as yours direct on to flooring and there is no joist the ceiling below can be adversely affected??

Suggest you check that the brick on edge is indeed stable? at times plaster removal can cause the what is an inherently unstable construction to become unstable? Are there any plaster cracks developing on the other side of the brick / Lath wall??

Dot Dab direct to brick is OK but at times Dot Dab to lath can be an issue any present movement of the Lath can give you problems.

Looks as if original builder was trying to get a water resistant substrate in the bathroom hence the use of brick on edge?

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Ceiling below and other side of wall are both fine, no cracks and wall appears stable.

I was thinking of plasterboarding the lath, bonding the brick, taping the join and skimming the whole wall. I can't see how else I can get a flat wall, but I'm concerned this will crack.

Any thoughts on this?

Where the lath is fix 2in/50mm wide rips of 6mm plywood through the laths into the studs. Use plasterboard foam to fix the plasterboard to the brick at the bottom, boarding horizontally, then fix the upper boards through the new rips. The frogs in the bricks should mean that there is sufficient foam at the bottom to get a good grip of the boards. Can't say I'd be too happy about trying to drill and plug intothat brickwork at the bottom

Sponsored Links
assumin its not a wet wall - i can see a basin waste stub nearby so guess your bath/shower is somewhere else in bathroom

straddle the join of the bricks an studding with a sheet of dot an dabbed plasterboard.
leave even gaps above an below the board.

dump your dabs on the studs an anywwhere on the bricks.
squeeze the board tight an then flat it plumb it an level it .
lightly tap through to the studs with a couple of supportin nails. dont fully set the nails.
let the board set up.
then fix board(s) in the gap below below an then above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back