1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Top half brick, bottom half lath and plaster

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by mickcooper, 5 Dec 2018.

1. mickcooper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all, this is my first post having spent hours reading and learning.
    I am renovating an upstairs bathroom and have taken all walls back to brick/timber frame with plan to dot and dab/refit plasterboard.

20181205_093840.jpg 20181205_092908.jpg
    My problem is one wall has lower half brick and upper half lath and plaster, see pics. It is not load bearing but other side is bedroom.
    There is not much gap on one side next to architrave.

What would you advise best way to get this wall boarded (or other)??
    Wall will be skimmed and painted.

Mick

Attached Files:

2. KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    mickcooper, good evening.

Unusual but not unheard of construction.

A couple of things?

Directly below the brick / lath wall does the ceiling bulge downwards in any way? at times if a load of brick is laid as yours direct on to flooring and there is no joist the ceiling below can be adversely affected??

Suggest you check that the brick on edge is indeed stable? at times plaster removal can cause the what is an inherently unstable construction to become unstable? Are there any plaster cracks developing on the other side of the brick / Lath wall??

Dot Dab direct to brick is OK but at times Dot Dab to lath can be an issue any present movement of the Lath can give you problems.

Looks as if original builder was trying to get a water resistant substrate in the bathroom hence the use of brick on edge?

Ken

3. mickcooper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Ken,

Ceiling below and other side of wall are both fine, no cracks and wall appears stable.

I was thinking of plasterboarding the lath, bonding the brick, taping the join and skimming the whole wall. I can't see how else I can get a flat wall, but I'm concerned this will crack.

Any thoughts on this?

4. JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Where the lath is fix 2in/50mm wide rips of 6mm plywood through the laths into the studs. Use plasterboard foam to fix the plasterboard to the brick at the bottom, boarding horizontally, then fix the upper boards through the new rips. The frogs in the bricks should mean that there is sufficient foam at the bottom to get a good grip of the boards. Can't say I'd be too happy about trying to drill and plug intothat brickwork at the bottom

5. bobasd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    assumin its not a wet wall - i can see a basin waste stub nearby so guess your bath/shower is somewhere else in bathroom

straddle the join of the bricks an studding with a sheet of dot an dabbed plasterboard.
    leave even gaps above an below the board.

dump your dabs on the studs an anywwhere on the bricks.
    squeeze the board tight an then flat it plumb it an level it .
    lightly tap through to the studs with a couple of supportin nails. dont fully set the nails.
    let the board set up.
    then fix board(s) in the gap below below an then above.