top hat washers and grips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do you install top hat washers between bath and taps.
and i have some bath grips which came with our new bath , but not bath grip holes, wouldnt the holes ( i need to drill) need renforcing with ply?.

Sponsored Links
Insert rubbery top hat or just a rubber washer from top with tap, put nylon washer or nylon turret style washer on reverse and do up back nut, the rubber part on top stops tap spinning round, nylon on bottom allows slip for back nut to turn so that you can get good comprossion force to hold the tap tight against the rubber and prevent it ever slipping. Throw away the plastic back nut which will split before you have compressed the rubber sufficiently to do a relaible job and buy a brass one. City plumbing sell bath tap ones, they are quite hard to find in other places.

By all means cut some plye as a back washer, it was very common in the past.

When drilling tap hole with a saw bit, hold a block of wood underneath for the centreing drill to carry on centreing while the saw does damage to the glass fibre.

Take a few swigs of dutch courage before you start, shut your eyes and pray for the best, or it's back to b and q for another bath.

cheers chap, plumbworld , but yeah wandering drill bit can make big mess of a nice bath.

any ideas regarding the bath grip fitting, as its a item which can subjected to a amount of force.

SHouldn't the bath have come with holes for the grips pre drilled???

Sponsored Links
No I've fitted acrylic baths where you have to drill the hand rail holes yourself.

Just drill them with an hss steel bit, actually a lot less problematic than geting the tap holes right.

I have a big worry coming up, £400 glaised ceramic kitchen two bowl sink where you have to punch your own tap hole. i think I'll stitch drill it with ceramic drill bit before I punch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back