top Layer on Concrete for finished floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, Hope you can help. I've had a top layer of concrete laid four days ago and it seems good except that it has a gritty texture to the surface when walking on it and when it's lightly rubbed, it produces a slight sandy feel and granular. My wife is wanting to get covering onto it as soon as possible, but I think it needs a sealant applied.
can anyone recommend something please?
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What floor covering are you going to have?
If you are wanting to keep the dust down you could just PVA it.

to much troweling maybe while water was flashin - very bad practice.
to much water in the mix. who mixed it?
could be bad or no prep of the old surface.what is the background?
how thick is this top layer?
are you def talkin about concrete an not a mortar mix?

This is normal. Brush a hardener onto it - commonly called a dustproofer. Any make will do.

Sponsored Links
Before you brush hardener onto the surface make sure it's suitable with your chosen floor finish, micro cements and some epoxy's don't like it.

Thanks very much for all your replies. I left it for a couple of weeks and then went away for hols. On returning, I did have to brush the surface again to get rid of sand, but there became less to sweep away and then eventually gave it a couple of applications of PVA which done the trick. A decent thickness of Cushion floor was then laid with the fitter commentating that it was a good floor to work on -so all good in the end. Many Thanks again to you all for my easing my early panic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back