Concrete over concrete on top of concrete...

Poy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

After a bit of advice on concreting the floor of a new garage that I've built over the top of a previously existing garage...

It's a steel framed and clad monster, with posts either sitting on newly created 300x300x600 concrete pads or sat on top of existing concrete that is about 150mm deep and been around for 60 years. I'm planning to lay inside the walls, not create a pad to sit the frame on if that makes sense.

The floor as it is was laid in 4 or 5 different sections it seems over the years - varying from 50mm deep to some parts which after investigation are around 100mm deep laid on top of another layer of 50mm concrete on top of another 50mm of hardcore, comprising of bricks, more broken up concrete, broken pottery and anything else they could find just after WWII!

Getting to the point - to make an even level over the top of all of this means laying new over the top - I'm thinking of making one side 50mm (figure thats the minimum I can get away with?) above existing, which would make the other side 180mm deep!

Now the questions:

1. Should I be worrying about putting some sub-base in the deep end, or just fill it all with concrete? Could I fill in some of the really deep parts with big lumps of an old pathway laid upside down on the old stuff, would still leave at least 100mm space on top for new concrete. Hmmm I may have found somewhere to get rid of the remaining asbestos sheets off the old roof! :p
2. Aiming to paint the concrete after its cured, with this depth of old concrete underneath and new on top, is a DPC needed?
3. Will new concrete stick to old? One area has had a 6mm screed over a thin bed of sand at some point which has cracked over time and has now been removed leaving a sandy finish to the concrete underneath, should I throw some watered down PVA over that to seal?
4. Am I worrying too much and should just get mixing and throw the stuff in there? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'd think that the minimum thickness of concrete for a garage floor is 100mm, with some mesh in there. 150mm is better, depending on what vehicles you expect to have in there.
You really need to do whatever is necessary to achieve that.
It's OK to have 100mm of concrete over well-compacted hardcore. But that is 'well-compacted'. 'To refusal' is the operative word. You achieve that by having sufficient fines in the hardcore, so simple big lumps is not sufficient.

If you achieve 100mm thickness, PVA is not necessary, and over existing concrete should be OK. Some might suggest braking up the previous slab before concreteing over. If you're not sure what's underneath it might be better to leave it as is.

Just painting a floor does not require a dpm. I'd seal it first with a concrete sealer before painting.

If you are going to use a dpm, you'll need 50mm of sand blinding to avoid damage to the dpm from the hardcore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back