Top Soil in N.Ire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are a few posters from N.I on here, and hoping someone has some experience here. I will be looking to get quite a bit of Top soil soon to put down before rolls of turf. Probably 5-6 Tonne bags?

Few questions;

1) Any recommendations of good quality Top Soil. I am in Down area.

2) Regarding delivery, do the suppliers just deliver to your front driveway/garden? I need mine in the back garden and trying to work out how to get them as close as possible. Do any of them deliver with those little forklift things and then drop them round the back? My driveway is quite tight so you wouldnt be able to reverse a lorry up it etc.

3) What costs am I expecting to pay?

What about getting it delivered from a truck and dumped in my garden? Is this alot cheaper? I would consider hiring a dumper in thise case, as I dont really want to be doing this with a wheelbarrow!!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Landscape supplies between ards and Bangor is great. Topsoil is 24/ton and delivery depends but Is about £25

He can do it loose or in bags no one delivers with a forklift, loose is a bit cheaper but at least in bags you can keep it dry if you need to for levelling before turfing etc.

What's it for? You could get 4 topsoil 2 grit sand if its for under a lawn?

How wide is the access to the back garden? You will not get anything capable of moving a ton bag that is narrower than about 120cm/ 4ft.

Either pay someone to shovel and barrow it or if your fit enough you could have 6t moved in a long morning. Many hands make light work too.

Bare in mind 6t loose tipped will be 6t but 6 ton bags will only be about 5t.

Last edited:
Thanks neo.

I have driveway up side of house but it is only about 2.3m wide. I doubt you woukd get a truck reversed up it. The entrance is tight. Its also on a slight hill.

I will check out landscape supplies. I dont fancy moving that much from front to back of house by hand. Mbe can hire from balloo something to move the bags.

Its for under turf. I have had thick membrane down with stones on too from prev owner. There is highly compacted soil under but the whole area is uneven all over. I also need to soil over area where patio was.

I have plenty pics over here - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garden-project-wip.482409/

Do you know any good quality suppliers of turf aswell?

Cheers!

You must remove the membrane, it can be hard work but its essential. The main issue is access width, there are plenty of things that will move the bags but they will not go through an opening smaller than about 4 ft minimum. There is a tracked mini dumper balloo have but it cant tip a ton bag as its too heavy for it. It will struggle moving well with a ton bag so if you have ramps or steps to deal with id forget it.

Turf you only have two choices, evergreen or emerald. I prefer emerald as their premium stuff is similar price to evergreens standard turf, if its for kids playing football on then go standard. If not then premium is thicker and nicer.

Landscape supplies deliver with a grab lorry but its only a 6 wheeler so not that massive. The grab does not reach very far though so it'll be a case of just setting it onto the drive.

Sponsored Links
Yes membrane is coming up. Just have it left down for now untilll I am Ready to rotavate exsiting ground.

Emerald and evergreen is the 2 i have heard aswell. Will check out.

Can you hire a fork type thing to lift the bags and just set them round back them i can work from there

Thanks for all the advice cheers.

Then your laughing, you can get a dumper and simply get him to lift the bags off into that and you run them round and tip and then come back for the next.

Or get the bags set on individual pallets and then rent a small tele-handler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back