Topical - Christmas Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Quick question - Wondering what methods of installation ideas you have for installing the ever increasing number or festive lights :?: Most lights I have fall into the extra low volts 12/24v via plug in transformers, or mains 240v. And don't like / want wires trailing through windows etc, and was hoping to get some ideas for a more permanent supply to make next year easier etc.

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to Part P on the parade, but..
please note that anything electrical fixed to the house on the outside will require to be part P'd from Jan 1st. As this applies to extra-low voltage equipment too, ands strictly even battery operated doorbells will only be allowed indoors if done as a non-notified job, I guess christmas light installations that include non-temporary parts would also count. You may find getting your work inspected by NAPIT if it is DIY or installed by your local NICIEC man difficult or prohibitively expensive.
I'd settle for leaving strategic cup hooks and some nails in the right places in the woodworks myself, if you are the sort to be worried about the legal side of things, then you can throw the lead out the window or drop from the eaves, as a temporary lead just like normal, every december.

As an aside you can massivly increase the life of the bulbs in most fairy lights by under-running them, at least one set I know of has a series diode (1n007) hidden in the connector, and hasn't blown a bulb since the late 1970s.

Or... you can do everybody a favour and keep your lights inside. :D Let's face it, they're tacky... and only you think you're being 'ironic'. And have you stopped for even one minute to think about how you are being religiously offensive... especially to Christians?

:eek: :eek: :D

Sponsored Links
Hum... and furthermore, bug!

No, really, Christmas is great... I get a bit of peace and quiet for a change. Unplug the phone, turn off the mobile and everybody assumes you're off doing Christmas duty with somebody or other. Bliss...

dingbat said:
. And have you stopped for even one minute to think about how you are being religiously offensive... especially to Christians?

No :!: I took one look at the joy written across the face of my 7 yr old - and thought the more the better - if you don't like it don't look :evil:

now where did i put that 20ft inflatable santa :D

dingbat said:
And have you stopped for even one minute to think about how you are being religiously offensive... especially to Christians?

And just what do fairy lights have to do with Christianty, Dingbat?

dingbat said:
Or... you can do everybody a favour and keep your lights inside. :D Let's face it, they're tacky... and only you think you're being 'ironic'. And have you stopped for even one minute to think about how you are being religiously offensive... especially to Christians?

Pah, Christians! What about the poor Pagans who have had their party hijacked by people singing hymns? :eek:

My point exactly!

Christmas trees and fairy lights freak me out. The lights are supposed to represent the glistening entrails of animals which the pagans offered to the tree gods at Winter Solstice, or something. Urgh.

why not fit a wetherproof socket outside?

or put a socket in a wetherproof box

obviously protected by an rcd and wired correctly

Yeah. You christians will feel the wrath of logic and rational thinking!

Seriously though, I hate these OTT outdoor christmas displays. What I got is two illuminated sillhouettes stuck in the windows indoors, and a little christmas tree with some lights on it. That's the only stuff visible from outside, and the maximum that good taste allows.

BTW, anybody noticed next monday's drama on ITV1 is going to be about? :D

Oh ho ho! Kids? What on earth has Christmas to do with kids anyway? Tis the season to get ringbolted and stupid, lose your licence, spouse, house, marbles... but why do you need an excuse to do any of those things?

(And I promise I won't be looking at your seven-year-old... what, you think I'm sick? :LOL: )

And of course, the only thing Christmas has to do with Christianity is the name.

The lights are still... well, tacky is too sophisticated a term for them!

Do you not think they add a bit of pretty brightness and (ironic if you like) humour to an otherwise dull, grey and cold season?

I do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back