Topping up exisiting insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've just bought my first home and as a result, I am venturing into the world of DIY! (Wish me luck).

In our loft, the joists are annoyingly spaced at app 53cm and are 10 cm deep. Currently, it has some loose fibre insulation in between the joists, not enought to come up flush with the top of the joists, I'd estimate it is only about 4cm deep!!

Now, I see the thinest Space Blankets I can get are 100m, which would be fine if the joists were clear. But would it be alright to lay this on top of what is exisiting as it means it would rise over the top of the joists?

Would that make it tricky when I want to lay the 2nd layer at right angles?

Also - with regards to the 2nd layer - If I want to board a part of the loft, would people recommend I use board insulation for a section of the loft instead of a second roll of space blanket?

Sorry for the long post - any advice would be welcomed!

Sponsored Links
just lay the new insulation between the joits and then the 2nd layer perpendicular and yes you can use board insulation under the boarded area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back