'topping up' office lighting (led vs. fluorescent)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have an office with an oval table that is mostly used for video conferencing. There are presently four modules of fluorescent light tubes (each x4) in all corners of the room. The table is placed diagonally. I tried to draw a diagram but I am using my netbook where mouse control is extremely limited, so it might not be helpful at all. In any case, here it is:

(the oval black thing is the table, the circle is where one would normally sit, the black line is the TV, the blue squares are the fluorescent lights modules)

The problem is that the room is too dark. Furthermore, the light behind the head is distracting the vc camera because it makes the wall bright in relation to the face and the face becomes far too dark.

I have considered a couple of options. One is to add two extra fluorescent light modules as follows:

The other is to possibly use LED lighting. My electrician is happy with both options. Would anybody know which option is more realistic? I would prefer getting a few adjustable LEDs but I would be really interested in hearing other opinions before doing anything as I have no experience in this at all.

Thanks,
Kreutz

Sponsored Links
LEDs tend to be very small very bright sources of intense light and this can result in reflections on polished surfaces like the table and on the TV screen.

If there is access the people who installed the video conference system then ask them for advice about what is and what in not compatible ( lighting wise ) with the camera(s) and screen.

You might try a curtain of matt grey behind the person to highlight the face and reduce the light coming off the wall.

A fluorescent worklight each side of the camera/screen would give more forward horizontal light aimed at the subject. Most office lights have glare reduction which means the horizontal light output is controlled.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/defender-e709150-work-light-230v/78401

If they are modular light fittings in a suspended ceiling, move the light fittings so they are closer to the centre of the room.
If they are making the wall too bright, they are too close to the walls.

Sponsored Links
Look for recessed mods that output diffused light rather than the standard cat 2 louvres that I assume you have at present.

Something like this for example
indirect.jpg

(Pic just lifted from google for illustrative purposes)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back