Topping up pressure in 24CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 24CDi combi boiler in a flat we recently moved into which needs topped up. I have a boiler key to top it up but can't seem to get it to work so I have a couple of stupid questions;

- Should the key just insert and rotate 90 degrees or something? Mine looks really worn and just seems to spin freely now.

- When the key is inserted, should the grey dial be able to be turned anti-clockwise by hand very easily?

Any replies appreciated so I know if I should be getting a new key. Ta

Sponsored Links
One of my bug-bears with WB boilers .I've started fitting proper filling loops.

Try getting a pensioner with poor eyesight to use one of those keys,not good.

Anyway there are a few different versions the latest one has a padlock symbol with open and shut padlocks however not very easy to see since the bloody thing is black!

Anyway insert the key fully into the hole and then turn it to the open padlock then you have to turn the adjacent knurled white plastic knob anti-clockwise in order to fill the system ,just like a tap,then turn it back off again and withdraw the key.

The older ones basically do the same thing but some of them have two keys one for unlocking and the other for filling.

Pain in the arse if truth be told.

Should it be impossible to rotate the key several times? The top of mine looks very worn and it rotates through 360 degrees.

From your description I assume that the little grey dial should turn easily with my fingertips if the key is properly inserted?

Thanks for your help

Should it be impossible to rotate the key several times? The top of mine looks very worn and it rotates through 360 degrees.

From your description I assume that the little grey dial should turn easily with my fingertips if the key is properly inserted?

Thanks for your help

Sometimes they are not inserted properly so you need to ensure the key is pushed in fully.

Use some washing up liquid to lubricate the washer on the end of the key.

You don't need the key in to turn the dial .

The key only lets the mains water go into the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I've got two problems then - can't seem to get the key to let water flow and I can't budge the little grey dial at all with the key in or out. Hmm

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I've got two problems then - can't seem to get the key to let water flow and I can't budge the little grey dial at all with the key in or out. Hmm

Yep,total pain in the neck.

Just be careful with the key though.

Once it goes in properly you'll know though just mess about with it gently.

Regarding the dial I would use a pair of grips or similar to turn it .Again go gently.

If you are really struggling get a plumber to fit a filling loop and forget the Key thing.

Your probably talking about two hours labour plus inhibitor and the filling loop which should be no more than £30 for the two.

Labour is another matter though :LOL:

Best of luck.

Cheers Tony - got it eventually using some pliers to turn the dial - it was just a bit stiff. Ta for your help - I can see how this is a fiddle for old folks - I've no excuse, I'm only 23!

Cheers Tony - got it eventually using some pliers to turn the dial - it was just a bit stiff. Ta for your help - I can see how this is a fiddle for old folks - I've no excuse, I'm only 23!

NP.

Cheers.

Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back