Torbec Cistern Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any body ever had any bad experiances with these?
I fitted 5 of these in a friends B and B at his request last week, all the valves were set up correctly with the final water level well below the overflow yet he has called me back twice as the water level on 2 of the valves keeps mysteriously rising up to the overflow which drips, and he panics.
Also when I tested them on installation the spout on one of the valves popped off when I flushed the toilet it causing high pressure water to spray all over the place!

Sponsored Links
Which flow restrictor did you fit? IIRC if pressure is greater than 60 psi you the high pressure one. I am having a bit of a problem with the one in my loft, It starts 'hammering' just before shutting off. I am about to change the flow restrictor back to the high pressure one. I will let you know how I get on. Originallly I tried the high pressure one, but it seemed to drip for ages :confused:

I tried both flow restrictor fittings & none to reduce the water hammer I get. Still get the hammer & I now suspect it may be caused by the rate of flow out of the cistern to the taps, not the torbec. Read somewhere about shockwaves from the tap running back along pipes...

Any body ever had any bad experiances with these?
I fitted 5 of these in a friends B and B at his request last week, all the valves were set up correctly with the final water level well below the overflow yet he has called me back twice as the water level on 2 of the valves keeps mysteriously rising up to the overflow which drips, and he panics.
Also when I tested them on installation the spout on one of the valves popped off when I flushed the toilet it causing high pressure water to spray all over the place!

Remove, rip out, bin, destroy etc. etc. (Get the idea? :) )
Replace with decent ones like Fluidmaster

Sponsored Links
You can get an anti-water hammer kit from Opella/Fluidmaster (same company now) for nothing.

Just email them salesuk'at'fluidmaster.com saying that you would like a water hammer kit for your Torbeck valve. Don't forget to give your address.

you have taken them apart to wash out any grit or limescale, haven't you?

If you do it in a glass dish you will see if that was the cause of your woes. Let the pipe gush before refitting the valve.

Torbek used to be ok but seems they now make them thinner than a fag paper. I don't use them anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back