Toilet cistern overflowing onto floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After flushing, the cistern refills to its usual level, but then gradually keeps filling past the float. I appreciate this is probably something worn on the valve, and the best course of action is to replace the valve unit.
However will a valve like a Fluidmaster be a suitable replacement for this set up? I ask as I cannot see a makers name on the current valve.
Also it appears the overflow set up is not right. The water overflows from the fixing holes at the back of the cistern onto the floor, as the overflow pipe is too high. Should the overflow pipe be cut or drilled? I cannot see how to adjust it.
Finally, what is the flexible pipe that connects the valve to the overflow/flapper unit? Will it need to be replaced if the valve is changed?
Any help appreciated.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
It's hasn't been fitted correctly, the overflow needs cutting down to the correct level.

Thanks, any ideas if the interconnecting flexible pipe will need to stay when the valve is changed? I have no idea what it is for!

Sponsored Links
Finally, what is the flexible pipe that connects the valve to the overflow/flapper unit? Will it need to be replaced if the valve is changed?
]
is it something to do with a dual flush :confused: . Sorry I can`t see how to adjust/shorten the upstand

Thanks for replies.
So is replacing the valve with a brass Fluidmaster, removing the flexi between the valve and the flapper unit altogether, and trimming down the overflow my best option here?

Replace both the inlet valve and the flapper with Fluidmaster products.
A fluidmaster flapper allows for adjusting the volume of the 'small' flush and also allows for dual flush capability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back