Torbeck height adjustable valve leaking (brand new!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cistern stopped filling today, hubby broke the valve trying to fix it. Duly went off to shop and picked up a Torbeck bottom entry adjustable float valve and installed it as per directions. Except that when the cistern fills now, it leaks like crazy from the height adjusting nut
(bottom blue nut on this pic:
torbreck_be_fvalve.jpg

When you move the ballcock up, the flow at the valve head stops fine but water continues to leak from around the blue nut and adjustable height columns -- it says "hand tight" on the instructions which I did, also there's no mention of a washer for it?

Can't figure out why this is happening. Have fitted the high pressure flow reducer but no help. I think I'll just go get a Fluidmaster instead but wanted to know if I've done something wrong setting this Torbeck up, or if it's just a dud.

Sponsored Links
Could just be dud. Have you tried undoing the nut and making the valve slightly shorter? Is nut cross threaded?

Did he replace the whole thing or just the top half? Could the threads be different sizes?

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually did the work :) and threads are not cross-threaded, I've adjusted the height up and down, no luck. It's completely new, the entire assembly. The previous valve was not the same kind -- looks more like a Fluidmaster one in fact.

It literally sprays water from the blue nut when you turn the isolation valve! Once the cistern fills, it keeps running and running (can see water dribbling out there) even when the ballcock has closed off the valve.

I can't see what could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem to be sealing. How is it supposed to work -- should the blue nut seal everything completely by itself (without washer) or is there some other mechanism at work there creating a seal?

Sponsored Links
On the non adjustable bit - the part that fixes into the bottom of the cistern - there needs to be a black 'o' ring in position where the upper bit telescopes into.....without this, leaks are inevitable. Maybe yours has been displaced?
Also, this Torbeck is adjustable in clicking stages, but I bet you'll have noticed that!
John :)

On the non adjustable bit - the part that fixes into the bottom of the cistern - there needs to be a black 'o' ring in position where the upper bit telescopes into.....without this, leaks are inevitable. Maybe yours has been displaced?
Also, this Torbeck is adjustable in clicking stages, but I bet you'll have noticed that!
No O ring came with mine, and none mentioned in the instructions either (here as well http://www.opella.co.uk/Resources/LF00122_Torbeck_Adjustable_Height.pdf) For sure it's supposed to have one?

But that would make sense, how else could you have a seal between two pieces of plastic without a ring or a washer?

Think I'll be returning it.

Undo the blue nut completely, and pull the two pieces apart. Look into the bottom one, and the 'o' ring should be just below the opening, say 15mm down. Its dead easy to push the thing away when adjusting it, but maybe it was never there.... :p

Undo the blue nut completely, and pull the two pieces apart. Look into the bottom one, and the 'o' ring should be just below the opening, say 15mm down. Its dead easy to push the thing away when adjusting it, but maybe it was never there.... :p
Ding ding we have a winner! :D

The o-ring had fallen down to the bottom of the tube (or possibly pushed as you said), had to fish it out with a long-handled screwdriver. Once fitted, it works fine.

Shame there was no mention of an o-ring in the instructions or I needn't have bothered you all...

cheers!

Ding ding we have a winner! :D

The o-ring had fallen down to the bottom of the tube (or possibly pushed as you said), had to fish it out with a long-handled screwdriver. Once fitted, it works fine.

Shame there was no mention of an o-ring in the instructions or I needn't have bothered you all...

cheers!
Same here. If only they mentioned that in the instructions it would have saved me a few hours without the loo working. Thanks. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back