Torbeck valve not working since megaflow installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've recently had a megaflow installed and since this the cistern in my bathroom has been extremely slow to fill. I've got a side entry Torbeck valve (marked "The original Torbeck").

I've checked for blockages in the pipes and removing the valve allows the water to flow freely so no problem there. I've also taken it apart and cleaned all the parts.

Could this be that the valve is set up to take low pressure (it used to fill from a loft tank) and now won't take the high pressure?

Can I adjust the valve in any way or do I need to fit something like a flow restrictor or even fit a totally new valve.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Sponsored Links
If it was set up for low pressure and now running with high pressure then I can't see it not working, the other way round maybe.

For correct installation on mains pressure it should have a flow restricter in the tail of the valve, it may not have one if tank fed.

Torbecks can be finiky and the smallest speck of dirt in the valve can cause problems. If you cant get it working then get a side entry Fluidmaster if it will fit, they are a much better valve.

Did the unvented installers go round and test everything after they'd setup the Megaflow?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21704/Plumbing/Toilet-Fittings/Fluidmaster-Pro-Side-Entry-Fill-Valve

Edit:

Maybe there was a flow restrictor in the tail fited upside down and when it was changed to mains pressure the extra force has forced it up the tail and partially blocked it.

Thanks.
I didn't see anything like a flow restrictor.
I don't know if they checked - I've just got back from hols and am compiling my snagging list. If it was a quick fix then I wouldn't bother them.
I'll get in touch with the plumbers.

If they have converted from a gravity to a pressurised system then sorting out the toilet cisterns is part of the job and usually overlooked.

I thought the HP and LP valves were different?

I expect all it will need is an HP valve.

More important were the installers registered for unvented and have they completed the Benchmark Certificate and notified the installation to the Building Control?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi willbav

Just out of interest what else was on you're 'snagging list'?

nothing much on the plumbing front. Mainly finishing detail like bits of carpentry. We've just had an extension.
The only other thing for the plumbers is that the shower door hinges aren't straight. I've been told that this is because the walls aren't straight. I don't believe that, it's just not been fitted correctly.

Agile,
I've got them coming around next week to take me through all the paperwork and corgi certificates etc. It's been a full CH system install as we were on warm air. Building control are also visiting to sign it all off soon. I'll make sure your points are covered.

JayJay

Your comment below inspired me to have another crack at it.

"Torbecks can be finiky and the smallest speck of dirt in the valve can cause problems"

And it's now fixed!!

A toothbrush bristle (the wife's of course) was just the right size to clear that little speck. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back