Tory Sleaze

It's sometimes said that an NHS worker, doctor or community lawyer can perform a useful service and keep in touch with their trade or profession, and this is an excuse used to justify MPs receiving sometimes enormous sums which their employers think they are getting good value for. For example Robert Jenrick wrongly approved a billion-pound property scheme, and the developer only paid £12,000 to Conservative funds.

This stands in stark contrast to
"Coronavirus: MP Nadia Whittome returns to care work."

"Nottingham East MP Nadia Whittome said she would donate the salary from her part-time role at a retirement village to a local Covid-19 support fund.

The 23-year-old Labour politician said she was doing it because "the care system is in serious danger of falling apart" during the outbreak.

The NHS has called for former health workers to return to their jobs"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52017811

many people do voluntary work for the benefit of their community, unpaid.

I would not wish to stand in the way of any plumber, car mechanic or MP who wanted to do that.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I cheered when Frank Skinner stated on Question Time that he believes being an MP should be a full time job.

Who votes in these MP's whose time & focus is on something else?

I do think, though, that an MP's first duty should be to his country, his constituency, and to Parliament.

Not to his own back pocket.

Don't you?

GeoffreyCox.jpg

Conservatives and Labour are involved in the largest lobbying scandal ever - the one for the vaccine manufacturers! Billions upon billions of public money shovelled into the pockets of a handful of foreign quacks.

Sponsored Links
no, but I've done quite a bit of voluntary work.

jeez us all this fuss over some people earning a few squid in there spare time
I dunno
whats the country coming to

A nation of whingers / complainers / jobsworths /

"SNP MP says 'Pandora's box marked Tory sleaze has been opened' as he calls for police investigation into 'cash for honours' claims

Pete Wishart has written to the Metropolitan Police in the wake of a report in The Sunday Times, which said that 15 of the last 16 Conservative Party treasurers have been offered a seat in the House of Lords after donating more than £3m to the party."

https://news.sky.com/story/snp-mp-s...igation-into-cash-for-honours-claims-12464360

"The Conservatives have denied there is any link between the donations and nominations to sit in the Lords"

hahahahahahahahaha!

I tried to persuade my wife to take on a second job as a barmaid at my local, I told her that the extra money would be useful and it would be nice to see more of each other.

"Britain’s anti-corruption chief has urged the government to introduce curbs on MPs’ second jobs as soon as possible to address public concerns about sleaze in parliament.

Lord Jonathan Evans, a former chief of MI5 who chairs the independent Committee on Standards in Public Life, rejected the idea of a public inquiry into whether MPs should be allowed to hold second jobs. He told the BBC that the government should instead accept an existing recommendation made by his committee in 2018 that bars MPs from certain types of work, including lobbying.

Westminster has been convulsed by a sleaze scandal since Tory MPs last week voted, at the behest of prime minister Boris Johnson, to overhaul the system of parliamentary standards in a doomed attempt to save Owen Paterson, a colleague who the parliamentary standards watchdog found had broken lobbying rules in an “egregious case of paid advocacy”.

FT.com

many people do voluntary work for the benefit of their community, unpaid.

I would not wish to stand in the way of any plumber, car mechanic or MP who wanted to do that.
We're right behind you on that. I was only thinking the other day, it might be time again for me and my dog-walking friend to do another litter pick at our local country park.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back