Toshiba code to use Sky remote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Toshiba TH-42PX80B and want to use my Sky remote to control it. I've tried dozens of codes suggested to me and none of them work, can anyone possibly help?

Sponsored Links
The TV model number you quote - TH-42PX80B - is Panasonic. It's not Toshiba. If you're trying to use Panasonic code on a Tosh set, or Tosh on a Panasonic, they won't work.

Look at the back panel info sticker, or find your manual. Get the correct info. 1st step, look at the original remote or the front of the TV for the makers badge.

Come back and post an update when you're sure you have the correct info.

:)

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then do the decent thing and click the THANKS button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Last edited:
My apologies I have mixed this up with another TV I have, it's is definetlwy a Panasonic, sorry for the confusion.

Panasonic uses the same codes for the bulk of all the TH__PX series sets. That means the Sky remote codes are similarly broad acting. This range is very well supported across a wide range of revisions of the Sky remote. You don't need one explicitly for that particular set. Try the codes for a different size or an earlier or later model.

If you're still having trouble getting the remote to work, do a general web search for 'reset Sky remote'. I have written extensively about this on the Sky support forum, and there's plenty of info.on the Web.

Resetting the remote clears any codes and programming in it. This is useful because where people have maybe had a few unsuccessful attempts, the remote can end up with a muddled memory. Resetting cures this.

Next, make sure you're following the instructions correctly. It's easy to miss a step and end up being just short of the finishing line but feeling like you haven't even got off the blocks.

You can also try the Settings and Help menus on your Sky box itself. This give's you an interactive guide with codes appropriate to your brand and model selection.

The only other remaining issues I've encountered are the odd occasion where the remote is a cheap copy and doesn't have the programming function, or the remote is broken. You'd notice that though because it wouldn't run the box.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then do the decent thing and click the THANKS button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed reply, it is much appreciated.

Unfortunately I'm at the point where I don't think I am going to get this to work.

I've tried perfmong the remote reset several times using several methods, using the interactive help function on screen, ive factory reset my Sky box, I've used all the Panasonic codes, I've used all the generic codes suggested on line. I've tried all of this on two different remotes and no luck whatsoever.

The only thing I noticed is I never get the double flash of the led when enteringing a code.

With no double flash, it does sound like you're missing a step in the programming instructions somewhere.

Just checking, are you using a Sky+HD box with a Sky+HD remote? By that I mean you haven't got an old Sky+ box with the cyan blue-coloured remote, and that you're trying to programme with a Sky+HD method?

Have you tried auto (or semi-auto) search?

What sky box are you using?

The older HD one or the new sky Q shaped one?

The box is the Sky+ HD type and the control is too.

What is the semi auto/auto search thing you mention?

I seem to remember having a similar problem, I found down to age of the remote, my new remote worked, but old remote did not, also the cheap off the market remote refused to work with TV.

The Flipper remote seems to work with every TV or box we have, it was bought as simple for mother to use, but it can be programmed by aiming old remote at it and doing the functions is sequence, as well as the two codes one for TV and one for set bottom box. With the Toshiba it did not need any codes entering, it simply worked. It can even be set to switch TV and box off/on together. It also has around 25 memories so you can arrange programs so ITV 3 is followed by ITV 3 + 1.

I would not buy one as a replacement remote, it was because unless you open slide, just 6 buttons, easy for old to use. We also had one remote which came from Maplin which was used with sky box but not a sky remote, that had extra options, it came as part of the magic eye kit.

I think if you remove the battery cover on sky remote it says which release it was, if it says nothing likely a cheap off the market remote, looks like a sky remote, but has some missing functions.

Don't enter a code and it will scroll through each one in turn;

TV, red and select till the 2 blinks, TV, Power.

If the TV goes off store that code by pressing select, if not try the next one by pressing TV again.

Repeat this process until your TV goes into standby.

Try the volume controls once you've turned the TV back on. Be aware, a code that operates power but doesn't may do volume then you nees to keep searching. Panasonic is pretty reliable, but you don't know if the order codes loaded into the memory of your Sky remote. It might be the more recent ones first which could have slight variations. Suck it and see.

Remember too, there are a lot of codes to scroll through and yours could be anywhere between the beginning and the end, if it's in there at all, so go slowly as you don't want to accidentally go onto the next code without storing yours as you'll have to start again.

Once you have your code use the blink back system to retrieve it so you can put it in directly in future.

If the red light on the box flashes when you press TV you have reached the end of the code list and yours is not in that particular revision.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice, I've followed everything that's been suggested and no luck. One of the controls imI trying is a genuine Sky one and the other is not. Coupled with the age of my TV I'm guessing I either need to get a new genuine Sky remote or a new TV, probably just wait until I can justify a new TV as it's is getting on a bit!

Thanks again for all your help.

I've just checked a Sky+HD remove (Rev9f) with a whole bunch of Panasonic codes. Most worked, some didn't, but that was to be expected because the memory in a Sky remote isn't unlimited. Certainly if I was sat in front of your TV now, I'd have it working from the Sky remote I have here.

Ten or more years ago I bought a Panasonic TX-37PX80 for my father-in-law. He has used that with Sky+, Sky+HD and now Sky Q. All of the Sky remotes have all had a suitable code for the 37" version of your TV. It's the same code. In fact, it's the same code for a vast swathe of Panasonic TVs.

There are two versions of codes. 3-digit, and 4-digit. The programming method is slightly different because 3-digit requires an extra key press.

When entering a 4-digit code, any zeros have to be entered too. For example, 0051 is entered 0-0-5-1 not just 5-1.

Take your Sky remote. Open the battery compartment. If it's a genuine Sky remote then there should be a revision number on a label inside. The one I have here reads Rev9f. Put in fresh AA batteries. Replace the cover.

On your Sky box remote, find the buttons marked TV, Select, and the red coloured button. These, along with the 0~9 number pad, are the ones you'll use for programming.

4-digit code programming (using code 1664 as the example)

:arrow: In this sequence, press TV

:arrow: Now hold down the red coloured button and Select at the same time until the LED flashes twice. If it doesn't flash twice, go back and try this again

:arrow: Key in 1-6-6-4. The red LED should flash twice if the remote has that code in its memory. If it does, then the remote is now programmed. If it doesn't, go to the 3-digit code programming.

Here's a list of 4-digit codes for Panasonic. The ones in red don't work for a Rev9f remote, but may work for earlier and later versions.

3-digit code programming

Here, the difference is that you press Select after the code entry to confirm. Without pressing Select, the remote isn't correctly programmed.

:arrow: press TV

:arrow: Now hold down the red coloured button and Select at the same time until the LED flashes twice. If it doesn't flash twice, go back and try this again

:arrow: key in the 3-digit code, then press Select. The red LED should flash twice for an acceptable code, or once with a slightly longer duration than for normal key presses if the code you just tried isn't in the memory.

Here's a list of 3-digit codes for Panasonic. The ones in red don't work for a Rev9f remote, but may work for earlier and later versions.

Apologies if this comes across as teaching you to suck eggs, but there are thousands of Panasonic TVs being used with all sorts of versions of Sky, and the Sky remotes are programmed without issue to work the TVs. However, occasionally things don't go quite as smoothly.

Often there's a reason such as the batteries were weak, or an essential key press was missed, or maybe the reader interpreted the instructions in a different way than the author intended, or there's some issue with copy remotes. Occasionally it's something more technical such as a TV that can work from two or three different code sets to avoid clashes with other equipment. If one such remote and TV have been changed from the default to "code 2" or "code 3" then any sort of universal remote isn't going to work unless it is reprogrammed to match. Once these glitches are sorted out though, then it's very unusual for a common core TV not to work with a Sky remote.

Lucid, you are a superstar. I followed your instructions to the letter, clealry you weren't going to give up which inspired me not to give up.

Basically my remote is now working with my TV. What I did was change the batteries for new ones then went through the the 4 digit codes. When I tried 0136 it was the first time I got the led to flash twice in succession, however it didn't operate the TV. When I tried 0678 I got the two flashes from the led and it now works my TV.

You are a credit to this forum, I can't thank you enough.

Thanks to others who also replied to my post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back