Toshibs 40WL733 - what do last 3 numbers refer to ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello

Looking at TV's and a major discount chain is selling the above for about GBP 480.

Cannot find any references to it anywhere, just the 40WL768. Unsure if this may be a special (cheaper ) version or simply number changed to avoid price comparison.

What do the last three digits normally refer to with Toshiba ?

Any other commments ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tosh model numbers probably do follow a some sort of pattern. But my money is on 733 being a model number specifically for that retailer, or for the warehouse sales sector in general. Is this is fnac?

I'd check the specs against the current LED and LCD TV range. Start by narrowing down the choices. Is the 733...
* LED or LCD
* 3D or not
* Internet enabled or not

Then have a look at the current and most recently discontinued models and do a line by line comparison.

Thanks for the reply, Chris. The chain is Electro Depot.

Model is:

1) LED
2) 3D Active
3) Internet . Think so. It says TV connecte in the brochure which is a new expression to me but which seems to mean that. Other models have a supplementary PC socket. Is that the same thing ?

Has 4 HDMI, USB Video.

If it is the 768 in disguise, would you say it is a good buy ? Guarantee is 2 years and further 3 cost GBP 70. Sounds worthwhile. Your feelings?

By the way, have often read your comprehensive advice in the past, so thanks for taking so much time to help on the forum.

I had a quick look at Electrodepot's web site but can't see the 40WL733 listed, so that makes it hard to do a direct comparison. Here's what I found for TVs in that size LINK

The spec on the 768 from Toshiba's French site is here

The PC input is a different thing to the internet feature. The PC input (Entrée PC) means using the TV as a big PC monitor. The internet connectivity (via a LAN socket) means connecting the TV to your internet router and being able to stream pictures, movies and music from your PC, and also being able to go online to view YouTube videos and some other live streaming services. Incidentally, the 768 can make a wireless connection if you have a wireless router. It is listed as Wifi (integré).

Perhaps take a look at the Toshiba link above and see if you can match up the features between the two models.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words. It's nice to get a little recognition :)

Good luck with the new telly

Sponsored Links
Chris

I had previously checked their site for comparison data but the 733 is not listed: either because it is a limited quantity item and they have sold out or they don't list it until the sales "period" for that item begins. Have mailed them to ask anyway.

Can I ask for your opinion on Toshiba LED generally and whether the extended warranty for 5 yrs for 70 quid is a smart idea ?

Toshiba seems to be one of the more reliable TV brands. Compare that to a web search on faulty Samsung or LG TVs and you'll be flooded with results. It's too early to predict if the trend will continue with Toshiba LED sets, but if past history is a guide then the brand does seem relatively trouble free.

The extended warranty might still be a good idea. It does depend on what's included so you'll need to check the small print, but it's still about half the cost of buying a commercial 3-year warranty so it seems good value.

Always used LG for my home and CCTV purposes and never had to return or get one repaired yet.

To be fair to LG and Samsung they do sell a lot of tellies. So even if their failure rate is only a little above the industry average (2%-4% last time I checked) then there's still a lot of owners complaining just because of the volumes sold.

What surprises me though is the sheer number of owners complaining about dead or dying power supplies. Particularly issues with capacitors. This seems excessively high with those two brands, and what's worse is that:
a) it has been going on a long time
b) it's a relatively simple thing for them to cure if they just buy better quality caps

Underspec'ing the components is a cost cutting measure gone too far.

Similar within my industry.
**** poor PSU`s for DVR`s.
Camera supplies not up to the job.
Some alarm panels struggling to cope with 17AH batteries. Although almost all can cope now.

Seems to be across the board, not just in these industries.

Spot on. Capacitors and bad solder joints. I'm not convinced that the change to lead-free solder was as good for the environment as were were supposed to believe. It's resulting in equipment being scrapped prematurely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back