Total Control Electricity (Scotland)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some friends are extending their house and have asked me to do the wiring work. They have Total Control electricity, supplied by Scottish Hydro. I was not too familiar with the regulations appertaining to this tariff so I read the PDF on the SCARF website. It seems you can have a certain proportion of heating from panel or fan heaters which can be used at any time, whilst 60% of the heating should be from time controlled storage heaters. My question concerns termination of the panel/fan heaters. Do these have to be hard wired using fused spur outlets or can they be on 13 amp sockets? The same applies to provision of a focal point electric fire in the living room.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the rating of the heaters, but are you sure you should be doing the job if you do not know that!!

My question concerns the law with regard to potential abuse of the half price electricity. My friends would like to have a couple of the portable halogen type heaters they could take from room to room and give supplementary heat but if it is illegal to have a 13 amp socket on a cheap rate supply then such heaters can only be used on the standard rate ring main. Remember that this is Scotland where we don't have Part P. In this case I am legally permitted to sign the completion certificate paperwork because the Building Warrant was issued before the new regs came into force.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back