Time control for electric radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at getting storage heaters out and electric radiators in.
Quite liked the look of the Acova ones but they only have a thermostat not a timer.
I realise that a timer spur could be used, but I see that these rads also have a "control" wire. Anyone found a good way of controlling them. I assume, possibly incorrectly, that the control wire does not require 13 amp supply but have not yet got full details of the heaters.
Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Are the storage heaters economy 7? A time won’t make any difference unless there is normal power.

Yes the storage are on economy 7 but the plan is to get this removed and have the 2 consumer units linked so that cabling can be re-used. A timer on the whole consumer unit would also be interesting but I doubt that this is possible.

Yes the storage are on economy 7 but the plan is to get this removed and have the 2 consumer units linked so that cabling can be re-used.
Are you saying that you do not intend to run the storage heaters off E7?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes. Giving up Econ 7. My daughters flat and she is at work all day (when the house is warm) and comes hometo a cold flat in the evening.

Yes. Giving up Econ 7. My daughters flat and she is at work all day (when the house is warm) and comes hometo a cold flat in the evening.
Fair enough - and that's a common problem with storage heaters. I confess that I actually mis-read your initial post!

Do I take it that electric heating is the only available option? As I'm sure you will be aware, electric heating run from standard-rate electricity can be a pretty expensive business. How many electric heaters are you contemplating having to have?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. 3 x 1200 watt & 2 x 1400 watt. She has had this type of heating before in rented flats and is used to the costs & comfort. I did wonder if the Quantum storage heaters might be an option but they are terribly expensive and I can not seem to find any proper info on heat stored and how well. Just vague statements like "exceptional insulation levels". I think I am going to reccomend buying a portable 2kw radiator which can be set to 1200 watts. She can then test the rooms & make sure that 1200 watts does the job. Only £40 so money well spent I think. Gas is not available or permitted in her block which is a pity because then I could bung a combi in for her

.... I think I am going to reccomend buying a portable 2kw radiator which can be set to 1200 watts. She can then test the rooms & make sure that 1200 watts does the job. Only £40 so money well spent I think. Gas is not available or permitted in her block which is a pity because then I could bung a combi in for her
That sounds like a good plan. Everything obviously depends upon how big the rooms are and how well insulated the place is. In my house, with mainly fairly large rooms (and poor insulation), 1,200W would certainly be inadequate in most rooms, particularly in cold weather - but I imagine that your daughter's flat will probably need a lot less heating than does my house. However, it certainly makes sense to do that experiment before buying five 'permanent' heaters.

Kind Regards, John

How about oil filled radiators? Lots come with thermostats and timers built in.

How about oil filled radiators? Lots come with thermostats and timers built in.
I think that the Acova ones the OP is considering are oil-filled, but he said that they have only got thermostats, no timers. Indeed, I think that most (all?) 'electric radiators' are oil-filled.

Kind Regards, John
i

Sorry, I didn't google Acova and thought the OP might be referring to panel heaters, my bad.

I didn't put the link in because it filled 1/2 a page. I know that I should be able to put This or Here and have that point to the page but danged if I can remember how.

I didn't put the link in because it filled 1/2 a page. I know that I should be able to put This or Here and have that point to the page but danged if I can remember how.
(in the following, use [ and ] where I have typed { and } )
1... type {url=xxxxxx} (where xxxxxx is the url of the link)
2... then type the text you want to appear, such as "click here" (without the quote marks)
3... then type {/url}

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back