total re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are considering buying a 3 bed semi that will require a complete re-wire as well as other things i.e. new kitchen/bathroom etc.
In order to keep costs down is it possible for me to run the wiring install sockets,lights etc. to a place where a new consumer unit can be fitted by a qualified electrician and have everything tested and certified . Is it a legal requirement that a qualified electrician has to do all the work ?
Now if i am allowed to carry out the work i have stated would i be best working in conjunction with an electrician to point me in the right direction about which wiring to use for what purpose etc and other regs or can i obtain this info online somewhere ? Thanks in advance for any help/tips

Sponsored Links
If you want to do that then the only possible way is for you to find an electrician prepared to work like that, and agree in advance what you will do and what she will do, and have her make all the design decisions and to instruct and supervise your work.

Don't expect it to save a lot of money.

What you cannot do its to go off and do your own thing, no matter how much information you get, research you do, questions you ask etc and then expect to get an electrician along to just connect up a CU, test and certify.

In order to keep costs down is it possible for me to run the wiring install sockets,lights etc. to a place where a new consumer unit can be fitted by a qualified electrician and have everything tested and certified .
You will need to get a self cert electrician on board prior to any work commencing, you will also require to install the cables within permitted safe zones, and comply to part A of the building regulations in doing so.
You will also require to design the circuits, taking in to consideration load, , fuse rating, reference method of installation, voltage drop and cable rating.
Is it a legal requirement that a qualified electrician has to do all the work ?
No, but I would want you to sign the document for design and construction
Now if i am allowed to carry out the work i have stated would i be best working in conjunction with an electrician to point me in the right direction about which wiring to use for what purpose etc and other regs or can i obtain this info online somewhere ? Thanks in advance for any help/tips
You can not start any work with either prior consent from building controls via notification application.
As previously mention get a self cert electrician on board with you.
There are a whole host of building regulations that would be required to comply to, not just part p, the approved documents are all available online http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/
I would be looking at
Parts A, B, C, E, F, J, L, M and P as well as BS7671
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:cable_types
Happy reading.

Thank you all for your advice , it would appear the best route will be to have the electrician do all the work. Im not trying to cut corners or dodge building regs etc. Just trying to save money when there is so much more work/costs to consider.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your advice , it would appear the best route will be to have the electrician do all the work.
Generally is.
not trying to cut corners or dodge building regs etc.
No sounds very much like you are trying to be compliant but wish to reduce the costs, but remember your times is money also.
Just trying to save money when there is so much more work/costs to consider.
There is nothing wrong in trying to save money and by doing the donkey work, it maybe possible to save a little. But this work will require professional tools, which you may not have and then purchasing them or even hiring will cut in to any savings, and again as above your time is money, and it maybe spent best elsewhere on the project.

You can ask local authority building control to "sign off" on it for you.

Cambridge City charge 190+VAT to inspect and give their nod of approval, or 234 (no VAT) if you were to just go ahead and seek forgiveness later. Charges vary by local authority though: some are very reasonable (234 is reasonable for a day's work) but others are complete Nazis.

You can "work under the control/direction of" an electrician registered with a Part P scheme and they can then self-certify the work. You say what you want. They then write it down and tell you what to run where. They inspect and they notify. I asked around but expect to be quoted cost 1000+ - anybody properly registered on a Part P scheme is far too busy making money on their own to want to deal with a DIYer.

You don't need any fancy tools to do the donkey work for what it's worth. Yes for final inspection (hipot/megger for insulation testing, RCD tester, impedance tester etc) but with a visual inspection of the new cables, checking for ring/cpc continuity (not impedance) with a basic multimeter, and trusting the RCD/MCB/cable manufacturer's quality control, I'd trust it to be safer than any existing installation until such a time as LABC can send the spark with the gear around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back