House Re-wire/CU Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could do with something clearing up. I need a house rewire and a new consumer unit. Im not a qualified electrician but work in and around the industry, how much am i able to do myself?

Would i be able to do the rewire/fit the CU and then call in an electrician to test and certify it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p for info - basically you can do it yourself, but you will need to notify your local LABC before doing the work (and pay their fee, probably around £100 - £150 but varies depending on which LABC it is). They will then decide what inspection/testing is necessary and do it...

It is at the discretion of the local authority building control. You need to submit what you intend to do. And if they consider you can do it safely then you can do the lot.
There are grey areas which different LABC’s will view in different light.
The biggest seems to be the inspection and testing. Some LABC’s will do the inspection and testing at their expense without any quibble. Other expect you to do it first and only if they do not believe the results will they then re-do the inspection and testing. You may have problems with the fitting of the CU. Official method is to fit an isolator and then connect CU to isolator when ready but some supply authorities will fit them with no problems others are really a pain. Your not in my area so I have no idea how your officials will act. And unlikely the electricians in the area can help much either as tradesmen will be treated different to Joe Public. Do read the pdf at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000001253.html and do remember we are now on 17th Edition or BS7671:2008 and also Part L and Part M will need complying with.

Sponsored Links
Parts L & M don't apply to rewires - you only have to ensure you don't make anything worse....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back