What work can i do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having an extension, whilst im doing this i plan to totally rewire the house and upgrade my DB. How much of this can i do if i work with a qualified electrician?

Sponsored Links
If you are having an extension, then BC will already be involved, so you could do it all if you wanted to without any extra faffing around :) , but most BC depts will want to see work to BS7671 (it isn't a requirement in law as such, but its the de-facto standard and makes it easier for everyone if its used) and BS7671 requires testing and certification, and its unlikely you'll have the equipment to do this, nor the know-how to work it, speak to your BC, they might be able to sub-contract a spark on your behalf to test to their requirements, or you might be able to get a spark yourself to sign for testing on an EIC (and you sign for design and construction), or depending on what your BC wants, you might be able to have a spark do a periodic test and inspection and that might be enough for BC

Hello All,

I feel im competant - heres my qualifications.
C&G 16th Edition (2381)
C&G inspection and testing (2391)
C&G PAT testing course (2377)
I use these in my work place and have access to there Robin 1652 multifunction tester. So how much work could i do then?

Sponsored Links
Well I can't see any reason why you can't do all of it then, when you sumit the building notice tell them that the re-wire of the house and the wireing of the extension will be done by a competant person in accordance with BS7671 and a copy of the EIC will be available to them should they desire it. Unless you have a totally unreasonable BC department then they should be happy with that (mine [lincoln] would be happy with that, but there are a few about the country who wouldn't be)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back