Part P Regs and new house wiring!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - just bought a new house built in approx. 1950

The building survey suggests a rewire is needed - I agree the old fuse box needs replacing with an up to date consumer unit, but surely they had stopped using the old rubber wiring by this time! Is it likely it will need rewiring unless there are faults?

Also, as I am keen to do any work myself as I have in the past, but am aware of new regs, would the following be allowed:
a) Get a qualified electrician to install a twin pole 100A switch between meter and old fuse box
b) me then use switch to safely isolate house to do replacements, etc
c) ask an electrician to come and certify / test the work

Be very grateful of advice guys - thanks! :confused:

Sponsored Links
If it is still on the orginal wireing, then its pretty likely to be rubber, I believe they changed to PVC in the '60s *, even older than that, maybe what you are thinking of, is around about the '30s they used lead sheaved cable

*even if it was the first generation of PVC it might still need a rewire, unsufficent capacity for modern day use, at first the inner cores were still rubber, and up until much later ('80s) 2.5mm had a 1mm earth (doesn't always need replaceing if its just the undersized cpc though)

You should ask building control what they will require, they might let you do it and check it themselves, they might expect a cert (if this was the case you could sign for design and construction, and have spark sign for testing), or you might see if you can do the work, and then have a spark do a PIR and give BC a copy of that. But you'd be best advised to ask your LABC how they deal with part p, every office is different

My house was built in around 1965 and had rubber wiring throughout. No earth to lights, and the rubber had perished to the point it crumbled when you touched it :eek: . Definate rewire case. Also even if your house is wired in 'plastic' cable it is likely to not be PVC and have have no earth to the lighting circuits and almost certainly no bonding.

Rob

Rusty2 said:
Hi All - just bought a new house built in approx. 1950

The building survey suggests a rewire is needed - I agree the old fuse box needs replacing with an up to date consumer unit, but surely they had stopped using the old rubber wiring by this time!
Absolutely not.

Is it likely it will need rewiring unless there are faults?
As the others have said, if it's never been touched it will almost certainly have faults, and will definitely have shortcomings that should be rectified.

Also, as I am keen to do any work myself as I have in the past, but am aware of new regs, would the following be allowed:
a) Get a qualified electrician to install a twin pole 100A switch between meter and old fuse box
b) me then use switch to safely isolate house to do replacements, etc
c) ask an electrician to come and certify / test the work

Be very grateful of advice guys - thanks! :confused:

1) Get some learning done.

2) Find out what the regulations really require. (Hint - your (c) above won't work....)

Sponsored Links
Many Thanks for advice - looks a complete rewire then!

Much appreciated everyone, thanks! ;)

You have a new house built in 1950?
.Mmmmn mine built circa 1900 so it`s still new then.

Seriously now, can`t be sure (obviously) but think about total rewire, it makes sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back