part p regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed all old wiring from a house i am extending(not new build).
When laying out sockets/switches do i need to follow:
In Habitable rooms Sockets need to be a minimum of 450mm from the finished floor level and light switches, doorbells and intercom systems need to be at a maximum height of 1200mm. Any electrical switches, outlets or controls also need to be at least 350mm away from room corners.

Basically it will be a new rewire throughout even the original house.

Sponsored Links
It is Part M of the Building Regulations which determine heights/accessibility of sockets and switches etc.
This does not usually apply to a rewire to an existing property but might to a new extension.

Are doing DIYing the electrical instal? If so you must notify your LABC BEFORE starting work & get the first fix inspected or you will never get it signed off

Sponsored Links
It is Part M of the Building Regulations which determine heights/accessibility of sockets and switches etc.
This does not usually apply to a rewire to an existing property but might to a new extension.

Not if it's an existing dwelling:

The requirements of this Part do not apply to -

(a) an extension of or material alteration of a dwelling;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/images/uksi_20102214_en_011[/QUOTE]

Sorry missed a bit off the end - the requirements might apply to a new extension if it was for a disabled or infirm person

Sorry missed a bit off the end - the requirements might apply to a new extension if it was for a disabled or infirm person

In that case the doors have to widened and ramps installed, etc etc. This appears not to be the case so the OP does not need to worry about that.
The notification part is a LEGAL requirement but that may already be a part of the Building Regs application for the extension itself.

Paulpa - when you submitted the Building Regs application, how dod you say that you would comply with the requirements of P1? (I'm getting like BAS now :confused: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back