Touch sensitive light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning my new house and would like to use touch sensitive switches in a few places.

The only ones that I can find are touch sensitive dimmers (e.g. Crabtree 400w touch sensitive dimmer). Can anybody tell me how these work? If you just touch them do they work as an on / off switch (i.e. they only work as dimmers when you keep your finger on them?)

Thanks
AA

Sponsored Links
Yep thats exactly it.

I have a couple of these made by varilite, and they have a soft start function (the ligts fade up over 1 second or so) which greatly increases lamp life.

You can also use the varilite ones with a remote control. This is useful for bedrooms etc.

You can also get touch switches with adjustable timers in, the light will then stay on for a preset time.

Sponsored Links
The Varlight, and other touch switches I've used, work like this:

Tap them to toggle on/off - when they come on they are at whatever brightness they'd been set to before.

Touch and keep your finger on them and they slowly ramp up from zero (i.e. not where they were before) to max, then back down to zero, and so on for as long as you keep your finger on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back