1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Toupret for skimming walls

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by Jupiter01, 8 Jun 2019.

1. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Based on an excellent suggestion from this forum I’ve been using this Toupret product for small and relatively large filling jobs. It’s been perfect and I’ve become very familiar to it. I use the large 12” jointing knife and it always provides a great finish.

I’ve never skimmed a wall using plaster and was wondering if I could use my experience with toupret and extend this to skimming entire walls using the Toupret product? I am taking paper off a wall soon and expect some imperfections with this.

Attached Files:

2. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can someone please provide direction on the above please?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Notadecor8ter

Notadecor8ter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Im not a plasterer but I'd never use something with filler on the packet to skim a wall!

4. Ker-plunk

Ker-plunk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Expensive way to skim a wall.

5. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is there a similar product that I can use for skimming? I’m not confident with using the multi finish with a trowel.

6. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’ve heard of people attempting to do that, it’s a pretty cr@p idea and would generate a huge amount of dust, and can’t see it giving a decent finish.
    There’s no other filler that’s any better either, hence the existence of finishing plaster.

7. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    9342B9CB-F7EE-4BEC-97E4-EB784444141D.jpeg
    Ive used this for mass filling, way back I posted on how I used it to get good finish with minimum sanding
    7960D92B-DD0D-49C9-B4F0-58F3474C8C6D.jpeg

Found it, https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-mixed-jointing-compound.473237/#post-3797277

Why dont you have a go with multi its a much better job than anything else , if you mess it up you can then fill it.

a refina sponge float is useful for flattening out or getting a wall back if you start to loose it

Last edited: 22 Jun 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is easyfill a more suitable product by any chance?

9. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry I couldn't say because ive not used it

10. dhutch

dhutch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Watching with interest as I also have a large number of old walls that need a mild spruce, 115yo Lime plaster, super flat, but the finishing layer is slightly friable in places, and we have had chasing work to re-wire, so as the papers coming off its a case of either made good and paint, or using a heavy lining paper. Want to avoid a full skim as that would loose features on the skirting/mouldings/broomsticks etc.

Daniel

11. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    (Powdered) Filler (where needed, not an attempt at skimming the entire wall), then lining paper.

12. dhutch

dhutch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I saw a youtube video of someone in the US who was 'skimming a wall' by as far as I can see putting a sandable filler and or jointing compound on and then taking the majority off before sanding it. Like you would filling a hole, only for the whole area of the wall. Obviously gets a smoothing effect without adding any real thickness, which is what I am after.

Obviously depending how it goes, if you are picking up a lot of small bits in the filler coming off the wall you could get in a right mess, and it is slower than skimming the wall. Skiming would make perfect sense in everyway if it wasn't for the fact I dont want to loose all the detail on the mouldings/corners with a 1/4 layer, and because being solid lime walls I don't want a layer of gypsum plaster over them either.

For the two main rooms downstairs I think we will stick with thick lining paper and done previously for various reasons, including including speed and the ability to get someone else to do it.
    We still might need to look at giving it a mist coat or something to tie back the small bits and dust from forming lumps behind the paper. Decorators are due Sunday morning to have a look over the job.

Then we can do some testing in one of the bedrooms and see what we can work out for getting a good finish out of the job, and then either apply that elsewhere or revert to lining paper!

Daniel

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Daniel. My attraction to using a product like Toupret (or easifill I think) is that I’ve used it in large areas as part of filling and am comfortable applying this with the large (12”) filling knife.

I’ve never used multi finish or a trowel.