Skim coat: Plaster or joint compound?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d like to try and skim coat my walls after pulling off the old wallpaper. The walls aren’t in terrible shape so I think I only need to coat to 1mm or 2mm deep. I’d like to try myself because I’d like to learn the skills.

Should I use a joint compound like Toupret or a multi finish gypsum plaster? Or maybe something like Knauf pro-roll? And can I get away without sanding any of them? The room is pretty big so sanding would be a nightmare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
Plastering is a skill so you will need to sbr walls and skim.
Can be fun learning and you will probably need to sand a few areas depending on your skill.
Wall smother maybe better option.
Bodge a cheap diy orbital sander on a vacuum with 180g mesh or paper disc and sand over.

Re will you need to sand. Oh yeah. I think that's a definite.

Re joint compound.
It's really for plasterboard and jointing.
You can use but easier with wall smother

I’d like to try and skim coat my walls after pulling off the old wallpaper. The walls aren’t in terrible shape so I think I only need to coat to 1mm or 2mm deep. I’d like to try myself because I’d like to learn the skills.

Should I use a joint compound like Toupret or a multi finish gypsum plaster? Or maybe something like Knauf pro-roll? And can I get away without sanding any of them? The room is pretty big so sanding would be a nightmare.
if the walls arent that bad maybe use easi fill and sand back -its proper soft so will sand easily.

of you really want to plaster, I would say try a roller product like knauf as the skill required to use a hawk and a trowel takes quite a while to learn -you will end up with plaster literally everywhere and multi finish is chemical dry so open time is short and its sets proper hard so a nightmare to sand

if you use proroll you will need a spatula like a Ox speedskim to stand a chance of getting walls flat

Plastering is a skill so you will need to sbr walls and skim.
Can be fun learning and you will probably need to sand a few areas depending on your skill.
Wall smother maybe better option.
Bodge a cheap diy orbital sander on a vacuum with 180g mesh or paper disc and sand over.

Re will you need to sand. Oh yeah. I think that's a definite.

Re joint compound.
It's really for plasterboard and jointing.
You can use but easier with wall smother
Wall smoother! I didn’t know it existed, thank you. Final question, if I’ve got wallpaper glue residue, will zinsser gardz be a good primer for wall smother? Or will it need PVA?

Sponsored Links
Gardz
Only problem will be wall smother will slip and slide over gardz making it's a bit difficult to apply.
Not much you can do about it.

If you want to practice, you could perhaps buy a couple of sheets of plasterboard and practice plastering on them outside/in the garage etc

I'd say most of the difference between making plastering "easy" and "hard" is knowing how long to leave it alone for between getting it on the wall and getting it flat and smooth. There are loads of factors that contribute to the time, either extending it or shortening it, and good plasterers know by experience that newbies don't have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back