Touring Caravanning anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering if anyone besides myself is into touring caravanning, or motorhomes?

I spent a lot of my working life away from home, staying in hotels. When it came to holidays in the UK (I like the UK), when younger I camped. Later, I moved to tourer caravanning, something I still do and still very much enjoy doing.

The difference now, to back then, is that back then I would actually tour - a few days here, a few days there. Older now and harder work, I tend to book one site for my entire holiday.

Over the years I have developed a few DIY gadgets and improvements, to make caravanning easier - happy to pass details on. My present 'van is a Bailey Pageant Monarch, which I have had for the past 10 years, which we both love. I bought this as an almost new, damaged, repairable, insurance write off and repaired myself.

I used to always use full awnings, until a few years ago, when I decided they were becoming just too heavy to manage, so I swapped to a lightweight porch awning.

A couple of years ago I discovered it had begun to suffer water ingress from a failed seal - the entire length of the hinge upon which the three front windows hinge (a common issue for the model). It was too late by the time I had spotted the ingress, to be worth doing more than a temporary fix, then a proper rebuild at a later date.

The 'later date' opportunity arrived between our two week holiday away in July and our one week holiday just a couple of weeks back this year. I have no under cover facilities to work, just my large garden, so working on the exterior was weather dependant and the weather co-operated perfectly. Front end is a single, very large composite panel, reinforced by timber framing. All of the timber from the hinge rail down to the top of the front locker was rotten, along with the interior panelling around and between the windows. Above this and luckily below, all was as new. Out of curiosity, I got a few quotes for expert repairs, varying between £1200 and £1500.

Sourcing the timber to replace the damaged framing was no problem, I got 40 foot of that cut to size at a local DIY/builders merchant. Sourcing matching replacement panelling was. I got the name of the style of panelling from Bailey, then rang potential sources all over the country. I eventually found a company which could source it, just three miles from home. Ordered and collected within a week. I then spent the following week ripping all of the damage out, reframing, repanelling and refitting windows.

Not the first one I have done. thirty years ago I had to completely reframe the entire roof of one caravan, where the rooflight seal had leaked.

Sponsored Links
Don’t think I could suffer a towable tin tent. Statics are okay, just, but I like the luxury of a king size bed and my own en-suite facilities - even the static ones seem a bit cramped. Oh, and you fry in them in the summer months. Last time four of us (two couples) stayed in a ‘platinum' 6 berth caravan in 2019, it was an improvement on ones we'd been in before with central heating etc but we drew the short straw and didn’t get the double bed - the beds we had were about 2’6” wide with a 6” gap in between them and nowhere to put our clothes.

We both love it, the bed makes up into a king size. Some have fixed beds, but they take up a lot of wasted space during the day. Blown air heated via either gas or 240v and well insulated, the shower in the bathroom is comparable to our shower back home. We were away in the midst of the heat this summer, windows wide, flyscreens down we were fine. I suspect you haven't been in a modern tourer for a while? They are very different, from when I first bought one, as are the sites.

We both love it, the bed makes up into a king size. Some have fixed beds, but they take up a lot of wasted space during the day. Blown air heated via either gas or 240v and well insulated, the shower in the bathroom is comparable to our shower back home. We were away in the midst of the heat this summer, windows wide, flyscreens down we were fine. I suspect you haven't been in a modern tourer for a while? They are very different, from when I first bought one, as are the sites.
Mrs Mottie wouldn’t sleep anywhere where windows at an accessible level were open since that child was snatched out of a an open caravan window.

Sponsored Links
Mrs Mottie wouldn’t sleep anywhere where windows at an accessible level were open since that child was snatched out of a an open caravan window.

It's much cooler in a caravan at night, you don't have the thermal mass around you that you have in a house, so not quite the need for open windows. On really hot nights at home, I have been known to go out and sleep in the caravan.

I've loved the idea of having a motorhome for a good while, but time, money and no off-road parking are limiting factors for me.
Having lived in some very small bedsits during my student years, the lack of size isn't an issue.
At one point I was considering living in a yacht, just to get onto the housing ladder!

I have read recently that there is a shortage of motorhomes at the moment, because no-one has any idea how viable they will be when the diesel and petrol engine bans start to come into effect.
Vans at the moment are sent to the coachbuilders as a running cab:
6395954-scaled.jpg
This won't be possible wih all the battery gear that an electric van will need in its chassis. The gross vehicle mass will also increase and that could have license implications.

I have read recently that there is a shortage of motorhomes at the moment, because no-one has any idea how viable they will be when the diesel and petrol engine bans start to come into effect.

There has been a massive take up recently because of covid and 'stay at home' (UK) for holidays. The sites are tremendously busy and have been all this season, which has enabled many to up their prices, as there is such a demand.

This won't be possible wih all the battery gear that an electric van will need in its chassis. The gross vehicle mass will also increase and that could have license implications.

That will affect the whole hobby, caravans and motorhomes. I shall hang onto my diesel tug just as long as possible.

I shall hang onto my diesel tug just as long as possible.

I have once seen a Tesla as a tow car.
I may be wrong, but I can't imagine the range will be too impressive.
The charging bays in motorway service stations aren't exactly large either.
Although you will have a comfortable place to wait for the top-up!

EDIT:
Just found this "The world's first electric campervan" based on the London Taxi!
But only 60 mile ev range (300 with range extender).

https://www.levc.com/electric-camper-van/

Last edited:
This is something I was discussing with the wife when we were camping this year.

On the touring field was a few caravans and some campers, my childhood holidays were touring caravan holidays and maybe rose tinted glasses but they were the best holidays we had, and think my boy would love it.

It's also a darn site more comfortable than camping.

We discussed it seriously and Cose the caravan we would like to get, just an old one but had electrics hookup etc.

Unfortunately for us we need a car upgrade and we also have no where to store the caravan and would have to pay for storage.

So for now it's on the back burner.

It's also a darn site more comfortable than camping.

Certainly is - a proper bed, warmth enough to be comfortable in the winter and everything is set out in the caravan when you arrive. Ignoring the awning, you can be sited in minutes unlike a tent. If it's pouring down, you just climb in and put the kettle on.

I would like a motorhome, but would hate the constant daily packing up just to go out for the day - yes I know you can tow a little car behind to get about once on site, but even so. It also seems a bit of a waste having a motorhome sat unused much of the time in your drive.

On the longer hauls, we often plan to stop on route a fire up the oven for a meal midway. Sometimes I would drive overnight, I like night driving, then pull up in a layby for several hours sleep, before finishing the journey on site. You cannot really do that with a tent.

I'm rather lucky, I have space and space to spare to be able to park it at home on my drive, though the road outside is too narrow to be able to drive the outfit in and out and my drive is slightly uphill going in. I used to hitch/unhitch out on the road and use a manual winch up the drive. I've since invested in a remote control mover, which takes all of the effort out of getting it in and out.

Some companies are offering motorhomes at a discounted hire rate, so you can borrow one for a weekend, with a view to buying.

Even with the caravan, I would have camping gear, so I could take the kids camping for a weekend.

Last edited:
When children were small caravan was good they could play and we could watch out of the window. Living in the caravan Sizewell and Second seven crossing I did not any longer see it as a holiday, but latter started again. Mainly with bikes as bikes in hotel room not so easy and not secure on back of car in a car park.

The problem is the cost of large 4x4 to tow it, but at moment wife has licence to tow not sure what I will get when finally renewed?

While DVLA will allow me to tow I will.

I know it's an old thread; but this vid just popped up in my YouTube feed - quite an interesting comparison of factors affecting the real world range of an EV, including what happens when you tow a caravan! :)

presumably the energy usage incease, and performance loss, would be much the same with an ICE vehicle.

On the subject of caravans, I noticed that the 4WD RAV4 is rated at twice as much unbraked towing load, as the 2WD.

I know it's an old thread; but this vid just popped up in my YouTube feed - quite an interesting comparison of factors affecting the real world range of an EV, including what happens when you tow a caravan! :)

I get about a 1/3 reduction in MPG when towing, with my diesel, but that video uses a tiny caravan, much smaller than mine. Odd how their range is reduced so much more than mine.

but is your vehicle large and heavy, with a bigger base load?

Sponsored Links
Back