REPAIRS TO MY SWIFT CHALLENGER TOURING CARAVAN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi has anyone had the same problem as we have happened to them when the caravan comes off the car and has damage to the front. We contacted the insurance company who say they will not pay as the caravan wasn’t attached to the car. I thought that’s why we take out insurance. Anyone come across this & is there any way I can challenge it?

Sponsored Links
I would suggest reading the terms of your insurance contract first. Especially the small print in the 'Exclusions' section.
Were you travelling when it happened, or did it happen as you pulled away?
They will try everything in the book to pin the blame on you or your car.
E.G. "It happened as I pulled away."
Insurer. "You mustn't have checked it was secure before moving off. You are not covered."
or
"It happened as I was driving along."
"You mustn't have checked it was secure before moving off. You are not covered."

Hi has anyone had the same problem as we have happened to them when the caravan comes off the car and has damage to the front. We contacted the insurance company who say they will not pay as the caravan wasn’t attached to the car. I thought that’s why we take out insurance. Anyone come across this & is there any way I can challenge it?
I think it's lucky you haven't damaged anyone else's property or even people.
The lesson to be learned is make sure the caravan is secure

Sponsored Links
Many car insurances only offer third party cover on your caravan.

Will my car insurance cover my caravan?​

Most car insurance policies cover your vehicle while towing a caravan, but they almost certainly won't cover damage to your caravan in the event of a collision. Do check, but you'll probably find that caravans are specifically excluded in the policy. That's why it's important to take out additional caravan insurance.

Take out insurance for the caravan:

It might save your NCD on the car.

The Caravan Club also offer a type of insurance.

I think it's lucky you haven't damaged anyone else's property or even people.
The lesson to be learned is make sure the caravan is secure
+1, but to be fair we don't know the circumstances ie was it human error or a hitch failure?

Yes, but this post is about if it should be covered by the insurance. The point of your insurance is to cover your negligence. If the policy covers it while attached to the vehicle, then it is not a reasonable exclusion to say it was not attached, if it became detached due to insured negligence.

Its probably one for the Finance Ombudsmen, if they don't comply. (said without visibility of the policy).

Insufficient data. What do you mean by 'it came off the car'?

What was the damage, photos will perhaps help?

What was the insurance for and supposed to cover?

Oh it was a long time ago when we had a caravan come off the car, the ball was on the caravan
1664807199938.png
this was typical at the time 1956 as the Suez Crisis was on and petrol rationing. Dad had left the fuel cap keys at home, and at first was going to go back with just the car, (Standard eight) [how odd used numbers and got smiling face] then decided to take caravan, and forgot to re-tighten the hitch.

However it did not really become disconnected from the car, the safety chain mean it was still attached, so dad tried without success to guide the caravan off the main road and slow down really slowly, caravan followed car, but ran into car.

Did not claim off insurance, but also seen other accidents where it would be hard to cover the repair costs, where the over run brakes failed to work in reverse, so the braking arrangement would with the hand brake stop caravan rolling forward, but not in reverse, and latter safety chains were designed to engage the brakes, then break free, so unhitching on a hill the caravan ran away back wards, not ours thank goodness, and it ran into another caravan further down the hill and wrote them both off.

There has never been a requirement to insure the caravan, but after that we did, car insurance did not cover, you need to claim off the caravan insurance, it has been like this for as long back as I can remember, and I would always engage the motor mover as an insurance against running away like this. I have never known it be any different, had the old type safety chain been used, then it would be attached, but new type designed to break free, so yes you need to claim off caravan insurance not car.

So are you saying caravan insurance will not pay out, or car insurance will not pay out?

It's part of your B+E training and good practice to check the caravan hitch is secure by lifting the car slightly via the caravan jockey wheel.

Same applies to trailers.

You've not done the basics if the caravan has come off the hitch.

It's part of your B+E training and good practice to check the caravan hitch is secure by lifting the car slightly via the caravan jockey wheel.

Same applies to trailers.

You've not done the basics if the caravan has come off the hitch.

The Alko hitch includes an indicator, to confirm it is properly secured on the tow ball.

Sponsored Links
Back