Towel Radiator Nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody out there is able to help with this minor, yet annoying problem, I'm having with my towel radiator please? :) I'd really appreciate it - and you can probably see that based on the detailed info below!

My bathroom towel radiator (image below) hasn't been working for months. I've tried bleeding it several times and have played with both valves endlessly, but to no luck.

I did manage to get some heat to re-enter the radiator for a moment once, but that faint glimmer of hope soon ended! Could somebody help please? I've even tried "purging" the system - by turning off all other radiators in the house and maxxing up the central heating.

Towel radiator:
http://1drv.ms/1I0yY59
attachment.php

Boiler:
Baxi Solo 2 60 RS

Thank you for reading!

Sponsored Links
You need to check the valves. The tap style towel rad valves you have are well known for failing causing them not to open properly. In my experience the part with the washer unthreads itself from the threaded spindle and will not re-engage causing the valve to be permanently closed. Normally you can take them apart and reassemble them using plenty of silicone grease to make them work again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. To confirm, if I use a screwdriver to unscrew this manually, I'm not going to have a "Cumbria style" (aka. flooding) Saturday night?

Thanks for the reply. To confirm, if I use a screwdriver to unscrew this manually, I'm not going to have a "Cumbria style" (aka. flooding) Saturday night?

Screwdriver? You'll need more than a Screwdriver!

To avoid a cumbria type disaster you will need to drain the system. Then disassemble the valve to service it and find the problem.

Might be best to call a plumber!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps your suggestion is a wise one... Just seemed like too trivial of a job for a plumber! Thanks.

For record, the screw in question can be found hidden in the mysterious hole (no pun intended) shown in the image below.

Feel free to remove that screw. It won't cause a flood. It will just enable you to remove the head from the valve.

Won't help you much though.

Close both valves, loosen the nuts connected to the towel rail and drain this into a dish. Then open the valves to see which one (or both) is knackered. Then replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back