towel radiator valve dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, One of my towel rad valves has started dripping from the nut at the top of the spindle (i've circled it on the attached picture).

If I close the valve the dripping stops. Is there a simple fix for this so I can avoid replacing the valve?

Thanks in advance, Rob.

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,822
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 1,473
Sponsored Links
Turn the radiator off, then undo the hexagon you have circled. Pack the space beneath with a few inches of PTFE tape, winding it in clockwise then screw the hexagon nut back in so that it compresses the PTFE.
Turn the rad back on and check!
John :)

won't have chance to look at this till I get home later but just have another question. I've read that newer valves have an o ring rather than packing material? Would I need to completely strip the valve down to get to the O ring if it has one?

Sponsored Links
Yup, pointless looking for an o-ring if you aren't looking to remove and strip the valve and that'll require a pressure release and a possible drain down. Pack up the gland as @Burnerman mentions for a medium term fix. Valve will really need replaced at some time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back