Chrome Straight Towel Radiator Valve Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My towel radiator valve is leaking from the centre where it screws in rather than from the pipe or radiator joints. I've seen plenty of articles/videos on how to use a "string" of PTFE to pack a gland on a standard radiator valve but I can't find anything on these now common towel radiator specific valves.

TowelRadiatorValve.jpg

As you can see from the picture, I was able to take the top off and I was even able to un-tighten the small nut at the end. I then added some PTFE and screwed it back in but it doesn't seem to have done anything to improve the situation - it's still weeping (from the centre - you can see the drip) and the amount depends on whether I open the valve fully or not.

Can anyone suggest what the solution is and/or where I can find information on how to fix it? It's either that or I guess I'll have to replace the entire valve which means draining down the system.

Sponsored Links
Turn the nut where it's leaking, and that'll tighten the gland inside it. Do it gradually and gently though.

As well mentioned by doggit,some more torque will help seal it.Also turn the valve on fully.

If you regularly turn this valve then its best changed,ptfe is ok if its not going to be turned ever again.

I guess I shouldn't try and undo the main body of the central section then? The bit which I've already undone doesn't seem to do anything when I tighten it and the PTFE didn't work.

I don't anticipate opening it too often but it does look like I'll need to replace it. I think it looks identical to the ones that are readily available from SF or TS though.

Sponsored Links
I bought a pair of valves fully intending to replace the leaking one. As you can see from the picture, I don't think any amount of extra tightening or packing would do anything as it seems to seal with a simple o-ring:

NewTowelRadiatorValve.jpg

It would be nice if I could just insert a new assembly into the existing housing or even if I could simply replace the o-ring but I doubt i can. Instead, I'll need to remove the existing valve and replace it with one of the new ones, hoping that I'll be able to re-use the existing valve's nuts (cones) and olives (limited access space). I've just had a look online and it seems that Monument do an olive removal tool which might be worth investing in.

You could buy a box of assorted small O rings and find one that fits but is a bit "fatter"

Tightening the nut around the opening adjustor squashes the O ring against the body of the valve, so although it's only a temporary repair, it can works for quite a while - as long as you don't keep opening and closing it. You can change the body of the valve, and leave the original nuts and olive in place, or as Dave suggests, you could replace the O ring. I've never found the olive removal tools very good, and it's easier to use a small hacksaw, cut 3/4 of the way through it, and then lever it apart with a screwdriver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back