Towel Radiators BTU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound like a silly question but I have been looking to buy a new towel radiator for my bathroom (replacing an existing one) & I am finding that even for ones of the same size the BTU from different manufactureres & makes varies hudely; why is this? Surely if they are the same size with roughly the same cross bars the BTU would be similar; I am confused.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are similar sized they should have a roughly similar output. Got any examples?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The outputs may be quoted for differing heating water and room temperatures (Delta T, or Δ T figures) Some may use 50°, some 60°. etc. etc.
The higher the Δ T figure is, the higher the apparent output from the same radiator.

Whatever the size and quoted output of towel rads, the heating output drops to practically zero whern they are used as intended (ie well insulated with a layer of towels)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I completely understand that towel radiators are less effective than regular rads.

So basically it is difficult to compare not knowing what standard they are using; I presume this is the case for the wattage figures too?

It is the surface area that radiates heat, If sum total of all the surfaces is the same, then radiated heat will be the same

As above, surface area.

Count the rungs on your examples.
One has about 26, the other well over 30. Plus the second one looks curved, which will also give a (slightly) bigger surface area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back