Towel rail fixings for triple skin plasterboard walls

^^^
Very good advice.

OP if you're not prepared to open the wall (from one side or t'other) and put some timber or ply in and make good, you could at the very least buy a second set of towel rail brackets and double up on fixings.

Even so, a bit risky IMO.

It's not a really a case of not being willing to open the wall. Given the poor quality of construction I am worried that doing anything like that will weaken the wall. We are talking about a 50mm deep wall.

Thanks nevertheless.

Sponsored Links
There are metal fixings with prongs to grip into the plasterboard at the front, and metal expanding 'ears' that compress onto the rear of the plasterboard. These are a really secure fixing, but they need to be used with a special setting tool.

I know the fixings that you are talking about but they wont work on the right hand side of the radiator where the wall is 12.5mm plasterboard glued to 25mm plasterboard which is turn has the hallway 12.5mm plasterboard glued to it.

We obviously have different opinions then. We live far enough apart for it not to matter too much. I wouldn't need to worry about your wonky towel radiator falling on me, should I ever of needed to use you loo after having a cup of tea at yours!
(y)

If you are ever in my neighbourhood, feel free to pop in for a cup of tea. Rest assured in the knowledge that the towel radiator in question is in my stepson's house and not mine.

Sponsored Links
5.5mm drill bit and red rawl plugs with 4x40 or 5x40 steel screws... washers will be required in the towel rail brackets, throw away the crap screws that’ll come with the towel rail kit... usually a hex headed screw that’ll need a nut runner bit and are only good for solid walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back