tower mid-position valve val328mp malfunction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A loud buzzing noise was coming from our three-way port and the radiators stopped giving out heat, though occasionally two come back on a little bit, but usually the boiler doesn't fire up and the radiators stay cold. I switched everything off and tried to move the lever on the port to manual so as to get the heating at least working with the hot water, but the lever wouldn't pull all the way and radiators barely work (as above). The Tower unit is a couple of years old.

I bought a new Corgi Universal Synchronous Motor 6w 5rpm and will fit it today. I'm just guessing that the motor is the problem, but I don't know.

If anyone can give me further advice I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Danny,

The motor may have burnt out, the micro switch may have burnt out or failed, the spindle may not be turning which could be the cause of the failure altogether. If you are struggling to move lever over it would suggest to me there’s an issue with the spindle part, eg sludge or blockage etc.

Danny,

The motor may have burnt out, the micro switch may have burnt out or failed, the spindle may not be turning which could be the cause of the failure altogether. If you are struggling to move lever over it would suggest to me there’s an issue with the spindle part, eg sludge or blockage etc.
Or seized synchron motor

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks both for your help.

I'd like to replace the synchron motor. One of its connecting wires goes into the furthest hole in the green block (see photo) - but it doesn't look like regular screws holding it in. So I can't see
IMG_20200116_145924.jpg
how to remove the old wire and insert the new. Any advice please?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
your replacement motor should have come with 2 x connectors, just snip the wires and use the connectors

Many thanks, that makes sense.

So cut the old wire a few inches from the block, cut the wire from the new motor, connect them together and tuck them inside the fitting?

The new motor came with two each of these. See photo. Excuse my ignorance but how exactly do I join the wires using these fittings. I've not used them before.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200116_152539.jpg
    IMG_20200116_152539.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
the white one, you strip a small piece of the coating off each cable and then twist the bare wires together , then screw the white cap over the joined wires then crimp the small metal part with pliers or similar.

at 9 mins you will see what I mean , I know this si a 2 port vave and the wire colours on yours will probably be different

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Have changed the motor successfully and touch wood, an hour in, CH and HW are back working.

Plenty of people on internet managed to do this in about ten minutes. Took us, albeit with not the best tools for the job, most of an afternoon. Advice to other amateurs like ourselves; start early.

Again thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back