Tower scaffolds - what to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying a steel tower scaffold but have noticed that there appears to be two types of design for how the sections are slotted together.

Either a socket with a pinch bolt or swaged for a slide fit.

Any advice on which is better?

Richard

Sponsored Links
Best to hire and erect different types to find whats suitable for you. Then buy.

Erection is only part of it - how safe and comfortable it feels in use is more important.
I suppose you intend to buy off ebay say and then sell on when you've finished with it?

Most hire towers these days are aluminium for a very good reason - they are far lighter. This is a major factor when erecting and moving them from location to location and having owned steel in the distant past I would never recommend them because they are so heavy

Sponsored Links
I had a small steel tower scaffold many years ago when we first moved into our property, now I've retired and our daughter has just moved to a new home (in the same road!!!) I thought I would invest in one again. Ours and our daughters front bay windows both need restoring and a tower would make it so much easier

Most of the ones I've looked at (4' x 4' size) will fit into the back of an estate car and each section weighs about 6 to 8kgs, so I'm not too worried about weight. Plus they are only going to be used near home.

Regarding safety, I'm going to buy outriggers and some tie-in sections. Regarding aluminium, I agree they are lighter but I feel the thinner section DIY types would be less strong, plus they are almost double the cost of a similar sized steel version.

Any thoughts on socketed or swaged sections?

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back