Towerstat Thermostat Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, would really appreciate some advice here if possible :)

We have recently moved into a new house and the boiler is connected to a Towerstat RF thermostat. I have trawled through the internet and read and re-read the instructions and feel there is either 1) a problem with the thermostat or 2) i'm missing something.

So anyway i am at the point where i can only seem get the heating to come on in "economy" setting and the receiver is showing a green light when in use so assume it's connected ok, but i cannot get the heating to come on in "comfort" setting at all! i have programmed the timer manually and truly can't see what i'm missing :( Any help gratefully received, thanks!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Hi there, thanks for the reply. i'm afraid i can't spot the model number? Have looked inside the transmitter and nothing looks like a model no and the receiver has nothing on it. is there a particular place i will find it? i have a feeling it could be about 10 years old??

Just a quick note *the heating is currently set to economy and is running and i have the comfort (black blocks) setting due to come on at 21hrs at which point the heating will turn off* thats what i can't figure. Thanks again in anticipation

Matt

It sounds like the Towerstat STTR/F.

Go to http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/tower-index.html and click on Technical Library then click in the table.You can then PgDn until you find "Towerstat RF Code STTR/F". It's a long way (29 PgDn key presses) down the list. There's a drawing of the control and the user manual.

If not, hunt the list until you find your one. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks i found it where you said :) its this one Towerstat RF STTR/F been through the instructions again and still the only way i can get the heating on is in economy mode and only then if the economy temperature is set below the indicated room temp on the display (eg economy temp set @ 14 with room temp at 16). The room temp then rises but very slowly over time up to around 20.

Hope you can advise and again thanks for your time

Matt[/b]

Here are some checks. Do one at a time and check control after each one, using one of the six pre-set programmes.

1. How old are the batteries in the user control? If you don't know, replace them. Make sure you use good quality, i.e Duracell. Do NOT use rechargeable batteries.

2. Check the small switches on back of user control are correct, i.e. no 3 is set to On (up)

3. Press the reset button (use a paper clip).

4. Check that the receiver is wired correctly. Post a pic of the wiring if you are unsure.

5. Change the Address on receiver and transmitter.

1. How old are the batteries in the user control? If you don't know, replace them. Make sure you use good quality, i.e Duracell. Do NOT use rechargeable batteries.

2. Check the small switches on back of user control are correct, i.e. no 3 is set to On (up)

3. Press the reset button (use a paper clip).

4. Check that the receiver is wired correctly. Post a pic of the wiring if you are unsure.

5. Change the Address on receiver and transmitter.

Thanks again,

Batteries are good and resetting doesn't have any effect. For the switches, no 3 is in the "off" position so i switched it to "on" but still no luck, should i leave it "on" or switch it back to it's original position?

Parts 4 & 5 i've not got to yet as i wanted to check first, does the front of the receiver just pull off or is there a proper way of removing it? it seems to need forcing and i don't want to damage it? :oops:

**as an added note i have the temps set at 15 for economy and 23 for comfort** just in case that has any bearing on anything

Really appreciate the advice so far cheers :)

Switch 3 should be ON. Off is for cooling!

Although not probably important, what are switches 1 and 2 set to?

NB Did you reset the stat after changing switch 3? Some stats need you to do this to accept the change.

The Installation Manual (left link) shows how to open the receiver.

The temps are not really significant, as long as comfort is higher than economy!

Check wiring.

Change Address.

Just a thought! Is the control located in a room/area where the rad has a TRV? If so, is the TRV set to max? If not, set it to Max.

Thanks very much for the help! i don't know how or why that no. 3 switch was off but when i put it to "on" then did the reset as you said it is working. Cheers

Matt :cool: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back