Towing electrics which cars NEED special harnesses.

I think he needs a pre 2000 Range Rover/Discovery , use it for one holiday and then sell it before it goes wrong. You'd probably get one with full towing kit already on it.

Pre 2000 RR means a P38A, the most unreliable RR model Land Rover ever made, better off with the Disco though they are far from infallible.

Sponsored Links
Our Mk2 Kuga Powershift required dedicated electrics due to CANBUS.

I would say 2009 onwards is when most got into this.

Once fitted the car has to have coding done to allow the towing electrics to work properly (don't get fobbed off with the fitter not doing this as he should have told you he couldn't do the full job to start with..).

With ours it turns on Trailer Stability Control, turns off Reversing sensors and camera etc.

The lights on CANBUS are controlled via the Body Control Module, as said above hacking at the loom with Scotchlock (hatefull things!) will just cause errors.

The newest cars have SMART alternator control, this can play havoc with supplying electric to the caravan when towing (mainly for fridge).

At the moment the tow car is rather basic, but I have to consider I will still have the same caravan with the next two tow cars, so what I do needs to be something that will still work when tow car is swapped, and so any split charging should still work if the tow car is swapped for one with a SMART alternator, so I was looking at DC to DC inverters.

However the question is where should it be fitted? In the caravan or the car? I am leaning towards fitting in the caravan, but seems every thing now shelved until next year.

Sponsored Links
Back