Trade Accounts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grateful for feedback on prices with Jewson.

I've refurbed quite a few properties in the last few years. I generally use B and Q/Wickes for all my plaster, plasterboard, wood, mdf and greenback t and g. Kitchens I usually buy from Howdens, electrics generally from screwfix or an electrical wholesaler. I also buy boilers and bathrooms.

I used Jewsons for some wood the other day and it was half the price of B and Qs.

Any ideas if I open an account with them if I will have a decent savings on any of the other stuff?

Many thanks
George

Sponsored Links
The trade sheds are extortionate on prices for everything, i would only go to a shed if nothing was open! Get a trade account somewhere!

So I am discovering.

Where am I likely to get plastering materials cheaper than the trade sheds? I probably spend about £8k per year on plastering materials at B n Q/Wickes.

Sponsored Links
I have a trade account at Selcos but they don't seem much cheaper than B and Q - should I be negotiating a discount?

Went back to Jewson's today - medium size order (about £850) for sheet and plastering materials, the price they offered me was about 10% more than trade-point/B&Q. Looks like it all depends on who is serving you. I tried to get them to reduce their prices and they told me they already had. Tried telling me £37 is their normal price for a sheet of 18mm MDF, 2.4 x 1.2, but they were discounting it to £18.00 + Vat. Like anyone is going to pay £37 a sheet, especially when they want 25 sheets of it.

I will look into Travis Perkins.

Wow thats extorionate lol. I live round the corner from a local DIY & Building centre, and its not the cheapest. Its £16 inc VAT for a sheet of 18mm MDF. And thats with no account / discount. They would def do a deal if you were buying alot. But as I said, that place is regarded as being a little pricey lol. You really need to go to a local merchant that is not a chain. You will get it MUCH cheaper.

Bare in mind I live in N.I and we tend to pay a little extra just for that bit of water...

I tried a local merchant but he was out of stock until sometime next week. I had to take the hit and get it all from B&Q at £15 per sheet. Definitely going to get some trade accounts sorted for my next batch of buying :)

I find some of the sheds quite cheap for multi finish/ mastercrete cement/ plaster boards etc, especially Wickes as they usually have multi buy deals and 10% off if you spend over £10. They're timber is always ****e though.

I've got accounts for a lot of merchants and generally just use them for timber and plumbing gear.

When I first went self employed, I realised that none of the trade counters were taking me seriously regarding prices.

Two things helped to change that: thrusting my card under their noses to let them know I was in the trade and a serious purchaser and learning the phrase: "how much discount is on that?"

If you ask "Is that discounted?", they will always say yes.

Plus, you learn which trade counters are absolute rip-off merchants and never go there again.

In my case, I have found Jewsons to be incredibly expensive and CEF extortionate.

CEF wanted £80 off a mate of mine who needed some 80p extension studs for deep-set boxes. They were non-MK brand and he only wanted a few but they insisted they could not split the pack. Yes, they sold him a bag of 100 for £80 + the dreaded.
They also wanted to charge me well over list for a lighting controller. I rang the manufacturer direct and asked for their price, which was far less than that quoted by the branch. The factory told me I ought to get at least an X% discount off their list if I bought from CEF as well!

No wonder they all have CEF private plates...

Also watch the magic "discounts" which are not as generous as they first seem... Often trade counters will put the trade list price on as the starting point, which nobody EVER pays: eg the trade list price for a 100m roll of 2.5 when I was starting up was around a grand!!!! So the wholesalers would have a notice saying

"100m 2.5 6004, 95% discount now ONLY £50.00"

I usually paid no more than £15-£20.

Thanks for the above. I will definitely take your advice on board.

Sponsored Links
Back